Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 14:26   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Plastimo Compass Too Bright

You guys really use your compass?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 14:38   #17

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Yes bright compass lights on a very dark night were a problem for me. Not so bad when the moon an stars were out though.

Most LED bulbs are not made to be dimmable. If they are dimmable, then they tend to be specifically stated as dimmable, and these cost more. (although this cost differential has reduced in very recent times, and of course the chinese manufacturer may not always be accurate in their descriptions).

Nevertheless, due to this extra cost of dimability, it would be a surprise if the compass manufacturer purchased or supplied a dimmable LED bulb without specifically stating it as a feature and going on to include a dimmer feature. Therefore an in-line resistor is unlikely to work.

If you compass bulb is dimmable, then be aware that most dimmable LED's will only dim with a "trailing edge" dimmer (resistor). "Leading edge" dimmers won't work in these cases. This means you can't install the resistor just anywhere.

The reason I know this is because I am currently mucking around (to an extent) with dimming LED's in (land based) commercial situations.

Hope that helps.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:05   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Thanks for the ideas. Blue Seas makes a dimmer that might work, but it seems to be a bit overkill. I think I'll try the nail polish. I'd stuff some panties under the compass cover, but I'm not sure how that would go over.

To remove the cover I take the plastic plugs out on the sides and remove the screws?
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You guys really use your compass?
I do. Constantly. Especially for night sailing which I seem to do a lot of lately. I have two bulkhead mounted compases I installed on either side of the companionway.

I like them because they are closer to eye level and easy to read from anywhere I feel like sitting in the cockpit. More of a heads up display than having to look down at a binicale mounted one.

I use them all the time. It always surprises me when I hear people say they never use them. But I am a little old school that way and have been hit by lightning before so....

...KISS
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 19:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
I have a Plastimo Olympic 135 compass at each helm. At night the compass lights are way too bright. What is the solution to this problem? Install a different LED bulb? Try to install a dimmer? If I should replace the bulb, how do i get to it?
Here's a link for Plastimo contact. Try sending them an email, they might have an easy solution for you. Best of luck.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:14   #21

Boat: Able 50

Those little LED bulbs come in different grades of wattage so maybe get a smaller one. You will probably have to solder it into place. I am assuming that your compass is lit by one of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDVRTZBGHDS6SQK.MEDIUM.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	140151
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:06   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If I am not mistaken, LEDs brilliance is a function of the current flowing through them. It is common low cost practice to limit that current by putting a series resistor in the circuit. If there is nothing to limit the current, the LED will immediately burn out So there is no reason that increasing the value of such a resistor would not reduce the brightness of your compass light if it is a LED. The same is true of incandescent lamps. I don't see what all the fuss is about!

Jim
Old 25-01-2017, 23:37   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post

To remove the cover I take the plastic plugs out on the sides and remove the screws?
Yes, it's as simple as that.
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 19:48   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

As promised... sort of: fixing the broken lead on my Olympic 135, I saw that the original resistor is 2k ( 2000 ohms ). Havent tried dimming it yet, but another 1-2k in series should be about right.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass, plastimo