Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2024, 20:52   #1

Please check my wiring diagram for my lithium battery upgrade

Jeanneau 419. Converting the 4 house AGMs to 2x Renogy 200AH

Boat also has 1x AGM for starter and 2x AGM for thrusters.

Starter and Thruster batteries are charged off the original boat AC charger when plugged in and from the alternator via a battery isolator when motor running.

House batteries are charged using the magum inverter.

The 2 images attached are the before and after wiring diagrams for the boat. Yellow highlight is what is new/changing.

New setup

AC shore power - the new lithium house batteries will be charged by the magnum inverter - the starter and thuster will be charged via the old factory charger

Alternator - Alternator is connected to a battery isolator - The starter/thurster charge as previously via the battery isolater. New lithium house bank will be connected to the battery isolator via a DC-DC charger.

Can anyone comment on any issues or tips for this setup? In particular I want to make sure my charging via the DC-DC converter and battery isolator is correct for the alternator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematics-Original.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	285059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lithium-new-circuit.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	285060  

gennetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 21:23   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Please check my wiring diagram for my lithium battery upgrade

I have a Jeanneau 409 - worked with a marine electrical engineer to do our system which is similar to yours, but...

I have 6x100ah battleborn batteries charged by victron 2k inverter. I removed the regulator from stock 80amp Hitachi alternate and installed a Balmar external regulator that charges the lithium bank. the single agm starter is charged from the lithium bank with a DC to DC charger as well my 2 thruster AGMs are charged by the lithium bank via a second DC to DC charger. 400watts of solar with controller charges lithium.

The reason the alternator is charging the lithium bank is that the lithium can take all the current available from the alternator and is controlled by the external regulator and internal BMS of the batteries. If you charge the starter/thruster batteries off the alternator it is very inefficient as the charging profile to AGM is very restricted. Really you only have higher amp charging from 50-80% and from 80-100% it is very low amps while charging.

Its been almost 2 year and been perfect. I think only once dropped below 50% on the lithium batteries
Old 05-01-2024, 04:15   #3

Boat: Tartan 4100

Following ............
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:46   #4

Thanks BCCoast - very good points.

Our primary charge source is solar, so I am going to plan to connect with the DC-DC between the alternator and lithium at the moment, but definitely something to bear in mind to upgrade later.

A couple of questions that I am hoping for some help with:

* We have a Magnum Sine inverter with remote, but it does not have a lithium profile. I have seen people mention CC/CV as the best profile for lithium - is there a guide anywhere on setting this up?

* With the DC-DC converter connected between he house an lithium batteries, it will also be triggered when the original AC boat charger is charging the starter. Essentially when on shore power, both the DC-DC converter and the magnum sine will both be charging the lithium bank. Is this an issue?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:42   #5

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Slightly OT but: What application did you use to create your wiring diagram? I'm making a wiring diagram for my boat and I'm not happy with anything I've tried so far.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:59   #6

The diagram is from the Jeanneau factory drawings and I just edited in photoshop
Old 08-01-2024, 11:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Slightly OT but: What application did you use to create your wiring diagram? I'm making a wiring diagram for my boat and I'm not happy with anything I've tried so far.
Google Drawings has been working well for me for schematics. All my logs are in Google Docs, so linking G Drawings is simple.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngSchem.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	285160  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lease, lithium, wiring