Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 16:19   #16
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Please explain this panel wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryBee View Post
In your pic, it appears the supply side (+12v) is the left terminal of each switch since they're all jumpered to each other, the center terminals are the "LOAD" side, and the right side terminals are for an indicator light (note the tiny wires leading from those) that lights up when that circuit is energized. It looks like only 3 switches have indicator lights. Note I am ASSUMING all of these switches are the same!
BTW, I only see 8 switches here...am I missing something???
thanks...no only 8 switches. sorry had just finished a pint on an empty stomach when i made this post. correct only the navigation lights have indicator lights.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 16:31   #17
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
yes thats exactly what they are. three connections on each switch. the indicator light is jumpered to the load wire in the center on three of the switches and on all switches the right side terminal is unconnected. on her boat all the negatives ive managed to trace so far go to a neg. bus bar connected to the engine/battery.

so far i have traced most of the +wires and their negatives. after three hours i managed to get the bow light correctly connected and working. the frustrating part is the wires change color three times from one end of the connection to the other. i managed to confirm continuity with a multi-tester. i managed to find some broken wires and a hot connection just hanging in the engine compartment. really appreciate all the feedback. i love electrical work but its hard for me to wrap my head around it.
Old 07-07-2019, 16:39   #18
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisHeinrichs View Post
Is it my imagination, but the bottom left connector in your photo looks like it is charred. If so, this connector should be replaced asap as it could be a fire hazard. Also, I find it interesting that someone used adhesive lined heat shrink barrel connectors to attach to a short piece of wire with the terminal connector on it, as opposed to just putting the end fitting directly on the wire. The more connections/joins on a wire, the more potential for resistance and problems. Adhesive lined heat shrink is the way to go though....
thanks Denis. its actually residue from what looks like a magic marker or possibly liquid electrical tape? its not charring though.

the connection crimps are pretty poor. i pulled one out of its connector today just trying to pull it off the switch. i'm going to re-do them all. i bought a good quality crimp tool from mainsails website and am getting pretty good with it.
Old 07-07-2019, 20:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
i'm going to re-do them all. i bought a good quality crimp tool from mainsails website and am getting pretty good with it.

Good moves. Sounds like you're on the right track.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, wiring