Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2017, 08:55   #16

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch
Re: PLEASE HELP...! PEARSON 32 AC OUTLET OVERLOAD

Also, be aware that when circuit breakers trip multiple times, they lose their original capacity to handle their stated amp load without tripping.
ThresherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 08:59   #17

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE: TURN OFF THE BREAKER AT THE SHORE POWER PEDESTAL OR BOX ON THE DOCK, AND REMOVE YOUR AHORE POWER CORD.
Then, and only then, follow the above advice to trace the AC circuit from the point of entry to the GFCI receptacle. As mentioned previously, the GFCI cannot reset if the power is off due to a tripped breaker or blown fuse.

A plug in GFCI tester is a very good investment, as even very low current levels can kill, and that isn’t limited to people who are actually aboard the boat.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:05   #18

Once you follow the wiring, and find the breaker or fuse, and fix or reset it, consider this:
You can NOT run two heating devices at the same time.
Small Microwaves draw about 10 amps, possibly more.
The size of the cabinet does NOT determine the power.
Most plug in heaters draw 15 amps on high. The size of the heater cabinet does not determine the the power requirement.
Your boat might have a 30 amp shore power inlet, but you probably only have one 15 or 20 amp circuit for outlets.
If you run the heater AND the microwave at the same time, be thankfull the breaker tripped.
You were probably running 25 or so amps on a 20 (possibly 15) amp circuit.
It did its job, saved your life, or at least your boat.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:53   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

GFIC outlets are notoriously unreliable. I have replaced many that have failed for no particular reason. It could be that replacing yours and being careful not to use the microwave and heater at the same time will solve the problem in the short term. As others have mentioned it is a good idea to have your ac electrical system upgraded
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:58   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Try turning off the space heater and microwave before trying to reset.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:03   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here's what the AC main breaker looks like on my Pearson 30. (pics attached). The white switch just to the right is for the charger, and the red light goes on when its on and charging. I kept a 3 prong outlet checker plugged into the galley outlet to comfirm voltage (and polarity I guess).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 124.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	161191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 125.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	161192  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:06   #22

I have that problem with GFCI's in my house very occasionally. One GFCI pops and one whole related circuit stops. Sometimes it will reset and sometimes it wont until I cycle the panel breaker. It seems to act as a breaker, there are no grounding faults and the panel breaker is not opened. Go figure. I am surprised you have no main breaker for AC. A space heater and Microwave is probably too much, but I would think it opened an AC breaker. Have you looked in the lazzarette and cockpit lockers etc?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:24   #23

Boat: Whitby 42

The first and simplest thing to check is to see if there is power on the input side of the GFI breaker. If there is, the breaker is bad. If there isn't, then you need to do wire tracing.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:58   #24

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Another possibility is that there may be two separate GFI outlets on the same circuit. We had that on our boat and took 3 days to figure out. Tripped both ( one with blow dryer-toilet hose- and one in other head. ). One where blow dryer wouldn’t reset because power was stop before at other outlets. Also did not trip Circ breaker
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:28   #25

Boat: C & C 36

I would start with shore power check, verify you have shore power.
Then the next area which could be a problem is your shore power inlet plug on the boat. On older boats corrosion at this location can cause excessive heat where the wires connect behind this plug. Corrision at this connection has been a weak link on many an older boat as it is usually inaccessible for a good visual inspection.
When operating electrical appliances always be aware of the wattages/ amperage so as not to overload your circuits. Ohms law works great and is easy for figuring out amperage/voltage.
Good luck!
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 09:04   #26

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Hi folks,
...... and hopes for all to have a happy and SAFE New year.

For those who work on their own boats:

Fundamental understanding of electrical principles, safe design and proper workmanship is ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you don't know Ohm's Law or the difference between an Amp, Volt, or Ohm, understand AC circuits and how they are different from DC, have proper tools and the skill to use them, you pose a danger to yourself, your crew, and other boats.

Anyone working on the electrical system of a boat who does not understand that heat producing appliances require high-amperage circuits needs to stop and find someone who does.

We are often forced by necessity to do electrical work on our own boats. Please educate yourself and ask for advice from more experienced hands.

I recommend a book that should be in every sailors library (available from Amazon):

Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook - by Charlie Wing

That said, welcome to our group, and I hope you will take the above as a well-meant and heartfelt caution.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, loa, pearson