Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 18:25   #91

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
One of the best things about cruising is that the "exceptions" usually outnumber the "rules." Rules are one the things we go cruising to get away from. Long time cruisers are very individualist and unusual people - which is the polite way of saying - "weird". My motto has always been "weird is wonderful." Who wants ordinary, normal, boring folks anchored around them?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:35   #92
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Newt,

About that rowing. The only people that truly row all the time will be the ones right next to the dinghy dock, and I do mean close! I tow people all the time in and out of the anchorage. What about when it is blowing stink, and against you? That small electric motor better have some hp. Bless you for trying to keep things pristine! The reality is an outboard sure does make life a lot easier, and at times safer.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:37   #93
Eternal Member

Oh,

I am going to go out, and do some sanding on this cloud filled sky, and windless day thanks to my little 2k........i2f
Old 26-07-2010, 10:48   #94
VVD

Boat: Caliber47LRC - MAKAI
Solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We have 2 x 120 watt solar panels and they are the antz pantz. Are you staying in tasmania? If theres sun to keep them going there then I would highly recommend them, particularly as they have halved in price in Australia over the last 2 years.
Hi Mark, what is the brand name of these panels and how where did you mount them. Working on a solution to top ofmy batteries.... read your website. Planning to start ours soon... Vincent
VVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 11:42   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I2f...I see my cruising is something in which I accept limitations in order to avoid a greater problem....Kinda like fly fishing. I mean- anyone can go fishing with explosives, but I chose to use a harder way to keep more of a balance between me and nature. Same with sailing totally electric...I won't be able to run around the harbor in a gale, but I will learn to anchor with that in mind.
The same with sailing upwind with a engine assist...and so on.
Just a choice I want to make.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 14:43   #96
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VfvanDoorn View Post
Hi Mark, what is the brand name of these panels and how where did you mount them. Working on a solution to top ofmy batteries.... read your website. Planning to start ours soon... Vincent
The brand I don't know as they are supplied to a large electronics company in Australia Jaycar that had them as a house brand.

Mounting them on the pushpit as below:

Click to make the photos huge...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 17:29   #97
Eternal Member

Newt,

Sounds like a sculling oar will do you fine, and you can forget the electric motor. We all get through life differently, and it definately looks like you are up for a challenge......BEST WISHES in accomplishing your thoughts.......i2f
Old 31-07-2010, 18:20   #98
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i2f---i row. i kayak. but i row also. use engine very most rarely for dink. gotten down to using genny only every 3-4 days --4 when we have a sunny streak of 2 hours every day, and 3 when we havent sun.
but i row.
i dont anchor near any docks if i can help it
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:23   #99
Eternal Member

Z,

I never typed it isn't done. I believe the ones truly rowing are of the same mind as those who do any excercise to keep the blood pumping. Out of complete poverty I used a bicycle for transportation. My everyday commute in torrential rain, shine, and sometimes wind that made me pedal downhill was not for the faint of heart. This at the age of 45 for several years. My compliments to you, Newt, and anyone else doing the accomplishment. I am just typing what I have witnessed.......i2f
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Z,

I never typed it isn't done. I believe the ones truly rowing are of the same mind as those who do any excercise to keep the blood pumping. Out of complete poverty I used a bicycle for transportation. My everyday commute in torrential rain, shine, and sometimes wind that made me pedal downhill was not for the faint of heart. This at the age of 45 for several years. My compliments to you, Newt, and anyone else doing the accomplishment. I am just typing what I have witnessed.......i2f
i WISH i were a fitness freak!! i am just a broken shoestring sailorette going along minding everyones and my own business having a ball....i have been here doing same as yoiu for since 1995..LOL...has been a gas--i really liked the good 0330 runs across the bay in fog or rain---always a good time!! how(NOT) to look prom perfect on way to work...!!!
but was and has been fun! we are on the water --yipes we live the dream----folks would give whatever to be able to do this!! but i row and paddle...for extreme times i might put my 3 1/2 horse engine on my inflatable....speed thru the anchorage at 1 1/2 mph....have a bicycle i use because my car is unreliable--go figger--but the bike goes with me when this boat leaves to cruise....gotta have my transportation!!! now--where is the line to stand in for making a pay per view website.....LOL
yup---is all fun--i did most of my cross bay wet fun in my 50s--lol--ye would think we would get that part out of the way at a younger aga--but it doesnt work that way, does it!!!

there was someone in leaky teaky yacht club on yahoo who was doing a leaky teaky with an electric motor instead of 4-208....might want to contact them--i dont know if the project was trashed or if he went ahead with it....
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00   #101

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
One of the biggest reasons to go cruising for my family is to live a simple, uncomplicated life. Generators get complicated. Solar panels are simple.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:39   #102

the reality of it all is, solar wont provide 100 percent of youir charge. neither will engine. the reality is, as we found out--the usage is going to outrun the charging and you will run out of electricity. unless you have a very huge area to lay solar panels over, you WILL need another source of energyu. we added a wind genny and still had to use a gas genny a couple of times for charging our batteries while we were at anchor.
with solar , here in sunny (yeah, right) sin diego, i need to use a gas genny every 4 days, other wise i use pure solar. the boat i cruised a near year on is almost self sufficeint, but requires gas genny for certain tool uses and topping off a battery bank when at anchor in the rain for a week.....we placed our panels on the biminy frame as the shade.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:08   #103
Eternal Member

I was having a conversation last night with a cruiser who has over 600w of solar. He's running the motor here because of the lack of sunshine. He will be waiting for months to leave. Waiting for more favorable weather to get south.

Solar, and wind are great, but you need to have low consumption, be in a breeze, and always have sun. Then it's doable, but unless you have those 2 constants a little bit of help from an inverter, or generator will be appreciated.

There are big boat builders failing in the electric motor department now. There was a 30ft Rawson on S.F Bay 10, or 15 years ago. He was just getting in, and out of the slip. Most likelyt it is in our future, but not for now. Google AMPHEADS, and you will get an idea of what can be possible, or done.......i2f
Old 03-08-2010, 14:59   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I2f. I agree with you completely. As I should- you are out there doing it! My idea of getting "extra" power is to use the prop while sailing to generate power. I would agree that Solar, Wind charger etc cannot generate all the power my boat needs. Its that extra ump- where do we get it from? Traditionally it has been from petroleum products- but there has got to be a better way.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:23   #105
Eternal Member

There is a man here in Panama from New Zealand. He built into his keel a prop for generating electricity. I will have to ask him if he gets electricity when on the hook in a stiff current. Also what kind of amps he gets while under sail on differents points of sails.........i2f

Tags
generator, wind generator