Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 09:31   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Portable Honda Generator Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
You wouldn't happen to remember the name of that place would you? My wife is from the area and we go back all the time, would love to chat with some old timers there. I'm feeling like it had to have been down Apalachicola way?

I looked for years and couldn’t find it, I believe it may have been near Shell Point, but that’s more of a guess than anything.
The Marina was sort of a small island with a dike running out to it, you landed on the dike.
This would have been in the late 60’s maybe?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 09:53   #62

Can you tell me more about the inverted part with batteries to start a heavier load than my Honda 2000 will start. ?
Thanks.
We we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:03   #63

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB971 View Post
Wow, fifty-eight posts and not a single word on the potential for fatalities from the use of a carbon monoxide creating machine on a closed environment like a boat. Also let’s not forget said device is pumping 110 volts AC into your boat and is not connected to a meaningful ground and bonding circuit.

Now let’s talk about storage. A portable gen has a vented gas tank. Unlike boat gasoline tanks that are vented out of the boat, a portable gen vents wherever it is stored. Gasoline vaporizes. Where does the vapor go when said tank is stored in a compartment? Gasoline vapor being heavier than air. Bilge maybe? BTW one cup of vaporized gasoline has the explosive equivalent of 5 sticks of dynamite.

There’s a reason why marine gensets cost what they cost. Put in the context of killing yourself and/or your loved ones, is the economy of a portable gen worth it?

H
Honda generators have the ability to seal the fuel tank vent cap. Presumably this is not just Honda specific.

There is a different thread on best practices. Obviously CO poisoning is a concern with or without a generator.
Old 26-08-2019, 10:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by We we View Post
Can you tell me more about the inverted part with batteries to start a heavier load than my Honda 2000 will start. ?
Thanks.
Some inverters allow load sharing. Victron Multiplex and Quattro have this feature. Basically you set a limit on the shore power and anything above that will be temporarily supplied by the battery.
For this reason alone I want to upgrade my inverter/charger but I hate replacing items that currently work when I have other boat projects to do and pay for.
Old 26-08-2019, 10:31   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Portable Honda Generator Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Honda generators have the ability to seal the fuel tank vent cap. Presumably this is not just Honda specific.

There is a different thread on best practices. Obviously CO poisoning is a concern with or without a generator.

They do, but still should never put one in an enclosed compt, especially if it has a connection to the bilge, Lazarette for example.
I put a cover over mine I got off of Amazon and it sits on the cockpit sole right in front of the steering pedestal, if bad wx is expected, I ratchet strap it to the two rails that hold the cockpit table, that sit on either side of the pedestal.
For work I had an extremely accurate sensitive CO detector, a Mini-SA if your curious, no matter where on the boat I placed the Honda I would get detectable levels of CO, no where near enough to set off a home detector though.
I also got even higher detectable levels of CO when motoring downwind, but again not enough to set off a home detector.
If I placed the Honda in the dinghy with it in the water, then I got no CO detected.

As far as a floating ground, it’s been argued to be safer. Not being an electrician myself, I have to defer to those that are.
Old 26-08-2019, 11:24   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They do, but still should never put one in an enclosed compt, especially if it has a connection to the bilge, Lazarette for example.
I put a cover over mine I got off of Amazon and it sits on the cockpit sole right in front of the steering pedestal, if bad wx is expected, I ratchet strap it to the two rails that hold the cockpit table, that sit on either side of the pedestal.
For work I had an extremely accurate sensitive CO detector, a Mini-SA if your curious, no matter where on the boat I placed the Honda I would get detectable levels of CO, no where near enough to set off a home detector though.
I also got even higher detectable levels of CO when motoring downwind, but again not enough to set off a home detector.
If I placed the Honda in the dinghy with it in the water, then I got no CO detected.

As far as a floating ground, it’s been argued to be safer. Not being an electrician myself, I have to defer to those that are.
You won't get any argument from me, I tend to agree with you a lot.

I didn't list all the safety precautions, just pointed out that cap can be sealed.
Our current storage procedure is to run the fuel out completely. Ensure cap is closed tight and shut the fuel cap vent. Then I seal it up inside a vacuum bag, same as used for linen, bedding, etc. Then I store it in a fwd locker that has multiple drains. The locker lid isn't air tight so air flows through the locker anytime the boat moves or the wind blows. The locker is sealed from the main cabin.

I don't recommend taking gasoline (petrol) below but in the above scenario, I feel it is very safe once the fuel has run out, lid sealed up and then the whole unit sealed inside a vacuum bag.

Plus we have multiple CO monitors on board and I strongly recommend everyone have them even if you don't have gasoline on your boat.

As far as the ground issue, I made a cheap plug that connects the neutral and the ground together. Honda sells a version of the 2200 with the N-G connected. https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...models/eb2200i
Old 26-08-2019, 12:29   #67
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Regardless of which you chose, use av-gas only in it and you will avoid most of the problems people encounter. Stabilizers also help.

Could you clarify /expand on this. Many years ago private aircraft switched over from 87 octane leaded fuel to 100 octane low lead. I recall it shortened engine life dramatically due to burned out valves. What is different now that I need higher octane low lead.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:47   #68

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Could you clarify /expand on this. Many years ago private aircraft switched over from 87 octane leaded fuel to 100 octane low lead. I recall it shortened engine life dramatically due to burned out valves. What is different now that I need higher octane low lead.
I was referring to the absence of ethanol and not the octane rating. Most problems with small engines and carborators such as those found on these motors are directly related to fuel problems because of ethanol content.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 13:29   #69

Boat: Olson 40

Are there any diesel powered generators?
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 16:17   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgaffney View Post

Are you referring to generators in general or portable generators like the Honda?

If the former, yes there's dozens of models from 3kW to big enough to run a small city.

If the later, none that I know of.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 16:23   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Portable Honda Generator Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgaffney View Post

Many, but all I have seen are large, heavy and noisy as heck.
The only quiet smaller one that I have experience with is this German Army generator that we used in Germany, it was a brilliant design and with the cover closed it was no more noisy than a motor home generator, but it was also 100Kg I believe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	198672
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	198673

I brought one back with me but left it at the farm when I sold it.
Old 26-08-2019, 17:50   #72

I use this one : https://www.h2r-equipements.com/grou...CABEgKHh_D_BwE
Cheaper than Honda, very efficient and not too noisy.
Peio64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 18:33   #73

Boat: Olson 40

Well, I pulled out all the propane and am depending on five house batteries to get me through the day or two with my induction cooktop and convection microwave. My 3ym20 with 80 amp alternator may, or may not, be up the the task. My solar will help, but that's not enough as a main source. It would be great to add a generator, if only it were diesel powered. I don't like the "pull out the propane and put in gasoline" line of thinking.
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 19:19   #74

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
One thing to say for propane powered engines is you don't have the gasoline stability or contamination problems. I have a friend with a duel fuel engine that's run only on propane. Sometimes the engines sits for months or years and still starts right away. But propane isn't as efficient as gas.

FTR, propane *is* a "gas". You know, like hydrogen is a gas, and oxygen is a gas.

This US-specific habit of calling 'petrol' "gas" can be confusing....

Propane is compressed for storage and transport, which turns it to a liquid.

In Oz it's labelled 'LPG' for Liquid Petroleum Gas" - which ought to confuse the **** out of you Seppos...!!!

I mean, gas is a liquid, right...???

LOL
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 23:53   #75

Boat: Vancouver 36 (UK)

Make sure to match the output to what your battery charger and or aircon needs. If the generator is continually modulating ourput , reving and then backing off, this is a lot more irritating than a constant(even if slightly louder) noise.
The Honda is the quietest 2000 but at 1000 the Yamaha claims to be the one to get.
thezephyrboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda