Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 13:53   #106

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Portable Honda Generator Alternative

I have owned a Honda EU 2000 for years to provide a little backup power for when the "big one" comes. She/ he showed up Oct 10. For over a week 12 to 14 hours a day that little Honda made life bearable. Only problem was ocasional overload running an electric chain saw trying to cut my way out to the street. Decided for the next "big one" a little more umph might be in order. Thought about a second Honda but mine is old enough that won't parallel with the new 2200s.

Friend suggested HF Predator 3500 $600+. About 10 hours on it and really impressed. Not going to pick it up under one arm, but quiet, quiet and will start my 1/2 HP well pump with no fuss. There was no starting that well pump with the Honda in eco mode. If I was depending on it every day probably buy a 3000 watt Honda or a pair of 2200s, but for 1/3 the price and no cord pulling that HF has sold me.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 17:02   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Portable Honda Generator Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have a 36 foot diesel pusher American Motor home,

It had a 6.5 KVA petrol generator converted to Propane, Twin Onan motor,

It had a 6 foot long x 18 inch approx Propane tank in it,

Why not a diesel generator, They would weigh the same, And only one fuel to carry,

The Propane generator and tank, They wont certify here, So I removed both,

It would be getting towards two ton for both, Propane tank and Generator,

I replaced the Propane tank with 10 Lb propane BBQ bottles, and Solar, Runs the fridge and stove,

The petrol generator I just bought for my boat will also go in my RV to run the AC units and 110 Volt accessorys thru a transformer I have in the RV,

It also fits in my lockers under the RV,

The weight saving in the RV is enormous,

Funny thing, but I’m the US, the big propane tanks built into RV’s never need to be rectified, just the little ones do.
The recert in the US is a joke, near as I can tell it’s just a visual, it’s not a hydro or anything.
The big 250 gl tank that sat right beside my house never needed any kind of inspection, but the 20 lb grill bottle does.
Go figure?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 17:20   #108

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Funny thing, but I’m the US, the big propane tanks built into RV’s never need to be rectified, just the little ones do.
The recert in the US is a joke, near as I can tell it’s just a visual, it’s not a hydro or anything.
The big 250 gl tank that sat right beside my house never needed any kind of inspection, but the 20 lb grill bottle does.
Go figure?
I didnt know that,
When I was making Pressure vessels here, Any USA vessels that came in, we had to cut the end plates off and weld thicker ones on as your pressure vessels didnt comply with our standards,
All pressure vessels here are certified, and retested every 10 years,
Cars, Trucks, Buses, Buildings, boats,
But the BBQ outside in the open doesnt, But the bottle does have a cert for it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 17:52   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It seems, and this may be incorrect that in the US there is a difference between a bottle and a tank. Bottles are under the jurisdiction of the US DOT, and DOT requires recertification.
Tanks don’t fall under the DOT, and don’t require recert.
Don’t ask why, I have no idea, and this info may be incorrect. I just always thought it strange that the big huge bomb right beside my house never, ever required inspection, but the little tiny one for my grill did?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 17:58   #110
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, portables are DOT, installed are ASME, latter need no recert
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 20:26   #111

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Been following this thread because I'm close deciding to buy a portable genset for use in the Philippines. With some 'low pressure' nearby, a few days of overcast weather leave me without adequate solar power, so main engine fast idle is the unsatisfactory solution. Genuine Honda gensets are not sold here, not competitive I guess.

Anyway, I was largely impressed by the thread contributions avoiding too much "china junk" ranting, with the emphasis being more on 'you get what you pay for'. So the overall message is - go for Japanese quality or Chinese price. I could not help recalling a scene from Mosquito Coast (the movie) and thinking 'wow, how ironic..'

By the way, if you never saw this film in the 80's, find a way to watch it now..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda