Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2024, 17:19   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Portable Solar - seaLeaf

https://www.lightleafsolar.com/solar-panels/p/sealeaf

SeaLeaf by Light Leaf Solar

I’ve been considering buying an electric powered dinghy. The electric requirements are beyond my current fixed solar and wind capability. So, I’ve been looking at portable solar solutions. The dinghy motor battery has a solar charger, so all that I would need would be a solar panel. I would probably need two batteries – one that I am using and the other being charged.

Foldable and flexible panels seem to have many issues and fixed panels are very heavy. seaLeaf is a rail mounted solar panel. Does anyone have any opinions on it? Are there other options?
Casablanca1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:39   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Portable Solar - seaLeaf

following
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 18:42   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The rigid glass panels will last 20 years. That panel will last about 2-3 years. Look at the warranties. Your choice.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 22:35   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I mounted my standard glass panels on my lifelines/rail. No issues, even in storms/oceans/thousands of miles. I wouldn't waste money on special panels for that.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:35   #5

A neighbor of mine has a couple of these.

I think they will last longer than regular flexible panels because they are quite rigid. Probably not as good as factory framed (with glass) panels, but better than just flexi-panels. My understanding with flexi-panels is that one of the big things that shorten their lives is being subject to regular tiny motion. Like if they are fastened on top of canvas, which a lot of people do. The tiniest bits of flapping around slowly break down the panel circuitry. Which I guess would also increase risk of getting a 'hot cel' and associated fire?

Anyway - these panels are very light as well as being very stiff. Pretty cool, and a price tag to go with that.

I have a mixture, 600watts framed panels, and one 200 watt flexible panel. My concern with adding additional with something like these was the difficulty of storing them when removed. With traditional flexible panels it's easy for me to store them underneath the bunk mattresses.
pnw2022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar