Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 11:32   #16

Re: Possible GFI problem with Honda 2000i generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayForward View Post
I also have the Honda generators. I actually have both the 2000 and the 2000i companion. I use this to get to 30 amp service. When we do not need 30 amps, I will use only one generator at a time.
I have found that I am not able to connect the 2000i companion to the boat directly by itself. My electrical panel gives an error message with regard to phase. I can run the 2000 no problem by itself. If I want to only run the companion generator I still need to connect both to the boat using the cable between the generators that ties them together and allows them to work together. The 2000i works fine on any appliance when connected directly.
So my belief is that there is something in the circuitry of the 2000i (companion) that does not allow it to be connected directly to the boat using the shore power plug. I believe it must have something to do with how they can work together when 30 amps is desired.
Hope this helps.
I agree with this,I also have two Hondas & tried to run my ac unit by linking them together & plugged into boat,would not run ac,so I plugged them directly into ac & it works fine.I would suggest plugging the honda directly into the water maker but I think it is drawing to much on startup..
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 13:41   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Or you can run the RO off the inverter and just use the EU2000i to drive a battery charger.[/QUOTE]

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 14:15   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Cruise RO motor is a 1 HP “watt saver” motor, it does have two externally mounted capacitors, one start, one run.
Cruise RO’s are marketed to be run by a Honda 2000 generator and I assume many, many are. So I don’t think it’s outside of the Honda’s capability.
My next step would be to try to borrow another cruisers Honda for a test, however the OP hasn’t written back and let us know if he had the Eco switch off, which I asked some time ago. My assumption is that it ought to be off to start that large of a load.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 15:37   #19

I just went to their website & it states: "The Honda EU2000i can Power the 20 or 30 Gallon per Hour Water Maker AND charges your battery at the same time!"
Old 29-11-2017, 23:48   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

We've had one or two Rainman customers over a few years have an issue similar to this. If it's a new RO system, it may just be a break-in process of the motor and/or HP pump. Running it on shore power for a while might be all it needs to be fine for the long term. I would do the following:

1. Start the RO system a dozen times to gain confidence in your generator/RO combination. Make sure this includes letting it cool down between starts so it's not only starting when it's warm. Ensure you are not trying to start the system pressured up.

2. If you do have another issue, borrow another Honda generator to trial. Cruise RO system should definitely run fine with a Honda 2kva genny. This will help isolate the problem to the generator or the RO system.

3. If it's the genny, talk to your Honda dealer or replace the system.

4. If it's the RO system, my first thought is the start capacitor in the motor. If the capacitor has failed, the voltage and current are out of phase, effectively requiring more power to start the system (oversimplified explanation). This may go just over the capacity of the Honda. Rich sells very high quality systems, but even the best components can fail on occasion.

Good luck with it.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 00:17   #21
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I looked at this Honda system a couple years ago to use at home and onboard.
I can’t look up specs now, so relying on memory— i recall that the Companion is not designed to run stand alone. It is designed only to work with the 2000 using the factory connector.
I bought a similar Yamaha set so i cannot help you from my experience.
FWIW from my memory
Old 30-11-2017, 02:48   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, WayForward.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:40   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I just went to their website & it states: "The Honda EU2000i can Power the 20 or 30 Gallon per Hour Water Maker AND charges your battery at the same time!"

The 20 and 30 gl systems are identical, just the 20 has one membrane and the 30, two, hence the higher rate. It’s 30 and not 40 cause it’s flow limited by the pump capacity. Electrical requirement is the same.
The 20 is easily converted to a 30 by adding a second membrane / pressure vessel.
The 40 has a bigger motor and pump, but otherwise the same but a Honda 2000 will not run it.

It’s my take that the Cruise RO 20 and 30 GPH systems were designed specifically to be run from a Honda 2000.
I waffled back and forth to go to a 40 as opposed to a 30 myself.
Old 30-11-2017, 08:43   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Possible GFI problem with Honda 2000i generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I can’t look up specs now, so relying on memory— i recall that the Companion is not designed to run stand alone. It is designed only to work with the 2000 using the factory connector.
FWIW from my memory

I used to have two Honda’s myself before I decided to go with a Diesel generator.
It may not be designed to run stand alone, but if I was only using one, it was always the Companion because it would fit the shorepower cable with no adapters.

The start cap theory makes sense to me. They are externally mounted, just plug in and are cheap. Now that it’s been brought up, I guess I ought to carry spares.
Only one is the start cap of course, the other is the run
Old 30-11-2017, 16:54   #25

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

As Scout 30 said why not run it through the 12 volt system .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 17:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
FWIW from my memory
The Honda web site does not say any thing about the companion not being a stand alone unit ,in fact it implies that RVs get it first because of the 30 amp plug .
Old 30-11-2017, 17:18   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
As Scout 30 said why not run it through the 12 volt system .

Cause you have not discovered the problem and fixed it. It’s a work around, that may not continue to work, plus it’s not likely to keep up, even a big charger often allows the bank to discharge significantly, depending on charge voltage.
Plus the Honda can also charge your bank somewhat and make water when things are working correctly.
But mostly for me, cause it’s not working like it should, that keeps me up at night, I’d have to fix it.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:37   #28

Should have been more clear. I was suggesting that the battery bank could deal with the surge if the load was to high for the honda
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
The Honda web site does not say any thing about the companion not being a stand alone unit ,in fact it implies that RVs get it first because of the 30 amp plug .
Have to agree there. I just bought the companion model to run directly into the boat through the 30 amp shore power connection. Works great!
Old 03-12-2017, 07:34   #30
Zil

You are arguing with yourselves. OP seems to have moved on. I guess one of the suggestions here solved his problem.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda