Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 08:50   #31

Re: Potting epoxy for bilge pump connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thanks, I've never heard of this product ... will check it out.

The FTZ MilSpec tubing is really good. I dont know what the adhesive is but it seems to stick extremely well and the tubing is really thick. Thats my first choice and the Ancor epoxy lined tubing is also very good. My second choice when they are out of the FTZ tubing.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 09:02   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
I suspect that may just be "marketing wank" on sailboat owners.com's part as ancor in their data sheet make no mention at all of the adhesive on this product being epoxy!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 10:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I suspect that may just be "marketing wank" on sailboat owners.com's part as ancor in their data sheet make no mention at all of the adhesive on this product being epoxy!

Maybe. Came recommended by Mainesail. Iv'e used quite a bit of it, mostly the mil spec stuff. Both are very good , and whatever the adhesive is it squeezes out the end of the heatshrink and forms an extremely good bond and watertight seal. Like i said earlier, if im really worried about a particular connection i'll use two or three layers. My bilge pump has two layers and a heatshrink butt splice terminal. I'm thinking its probably going to outlast me.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 17:02   #34

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
Maybe. Came recommended by Mainesail. Iv'e used quite a bit of it, mostly the mil spec stuff. Both are very good , and whatever the adhesive is it squeezes out the end of the heatshrink and forms an extremely good bond and watertight seal. Like i said earlier, if im really worried about a particular connection i'll use two or three layers. My bilge pump has two layers and a heatshrink butt splice terminal. I'm thinking its probably going to outlast me.

The Ancor stuff is always good quality, no argument there. I have a toolbox full of it for doing battery lugs, etc.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 03:03   #35

What about using Starbrite Liquid Electrical Tape? Isn't this what it's for?
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 13:41   #36

Boat: Norseman 447

Liquid PVC will eventually harden and crack. I haven’t found it to be an improvement over good heat shrink lugs, crimped properly. Note that heat shrink lugs won’t seal properly if the jacket on the wire is too small. Another reason to always use the right-sized terminal. I have used liquid tape as sun protection, for which it works OK.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 14:08   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You might see what the phone company used in days of yore. They would seal underground connections.
There seems to be a lot of over thinking.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 14:12   #38

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
My experience has been pump failure over electrical failure, necessitating pump replacement, which is easy to do with a good junction block mounted high using quality connectors and heat shrink. Heavier cable to the block eliminates any voltage drop.

YES; get a single device Carlon surface mount box with matching gasketed cover. Use a barrier strip type terminal, and use ring terminals. Mount high, but within wire range. Enter from the bottom hole, no cable grip is necessary. i usually coat with liquid tape. No more solder for me; did that for many years; bilge pumps and switch are too unreliable to be soldered to.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 18:15   #39

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Has anyone tried electronics potting epoxy for waterproofing electrical splices? A good waterproof bilge pump connection uses junction boxes placed high up but I'm not happy about the fact that the taps or leads that come with bilge pumps, although pretty long (so the splices above bilge waterlevel) but are much too thin (and unjacketed) Too thin leads are a problem for many items a aboard including Raymarine autopilot) I guess you can make up for the thin span of wire by using thicker connecting wire (which creates other problems)...If you cut off the wires to attach thicker wires closer to the pump you risk water intrusion into the splice, but the only truly waterproof way can think of is by using potting epoxy to splice the connections, covered with heatshrink for strain relief?
The OP addressed the high-up junction box.

The prob;em perceived is that the wiring to the pump from the junction box is often too small and causes a voltage drop. The OP is attempting to ascertain a method of implementing a reliable, water proof, splice at the pump.
Old 27-01-2022, 18:27   #40

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

If one is concerned about voltage drop across the float switch wires it's not all that hard to use extension wiring from the float switch to one of those Bosch relays that are available all over the world.
Can be mounted just about anywhere.
None of this is rocket science, crimp some wires, cover with as many layers of heat shrink that will put your mind at ease and move on.
It's far too easy to get caught up in "Majoring in Minors".
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 20:27   #41

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
If one is concerned about voltage drop across the float switch wires it's not all that hard to use extension wiring from the float switch to one of those Bosch relays that are available all over the world.
Can be mounted just about anywhere.
None of this is rocket science, crimp some wires, cover with as many layers of heat shrink that will put your mind at ease and move on.
It's far too easy to get caught up in "Majoring in Minors".
This is oh so true.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 05:56   #42

The built-in wires on the bilge pump are NOT "too small." The much-feared "voltage drop" is a function of both wire size and run length. Several wire size calculators tell me that for a bilge pump drawing 15 amps continuous, with a run of 20’ (40’ total), and 10% voltage drop, I only need #12 wire. The extra voltage drop of 6’ (a 3' pigtail on the pump) is still well within the computations.
Old 28-01-2022, 06:06   #43

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
The built-in wires on the bilge pump are NOT "too small." The much-feared "voltage drop" is a function of both wire size and run length. Several wire size calculators tell me that for a bilge pump drawing 15 amps continuous, with a run of 20’ (40’ total), and 10% voltage drop, I only need #12 wire. The extra voltage drop of 6’ (a 3' pigtail on the pump) is still well within the computations.

10% voltage drop on a bilge pump is unacceptable IMO. I'd wire to 3% unless it's truly impractical to do so.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 06:46   #44

I think that you missed my point. I, too, prefer to wire bilge pumps with the least practical voltage drop. In my very rough example, I’d wire it with #10. My point was that the short (3’) pigtail of #14-16 wire didn’t have much overall effect on the total voltage drop.
Old 28-01-2022, 07:33   #45

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion

How about sealing the junction with good quality Butyl putty? I put the putty on and then hand-compress it into a good solid mould, completely water tight, even immersed.

And if it ever comes time to service/replace the joint, Butyl comes off easily.

I guess that's we love and trust thye stuff on our exterior deck fittings (stantions, winches, runners, etc).

DS
DominoX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, epoxy, pump