Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2023, 06:50   #31

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Power for Starlink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating4ever View Post
We installed starlink with the Yaosheng adapters, Peplink MAx Br1 Pro inside Poynting EPNT-1, and interior access point running off of PoE. We typically run the generator away from the dock but during the switch over there is a power loss and keeping it DC keeps the system on at all times and some times we turn off the generator while under way. System is robust as we have Starlink on ethernet WAN, cellular SIMs in the Peplink, and WiFi WAN on 2.4 and 5ghz. Multiple WANs for multiple situations. Icing on the cake is Peplink's Speedfusion, we use the Smoothing function for WiFi calling, video conferencing, and other high availability requirements.
How are the yaosheng adapters working? Do they run hot?
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 07:04   #32

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating4ever View Post
We installed starlink with the Yaosheng adapters, Peplink MAx Br1 Pro inside Poynting EPNT-1, and interior access point running off of PoE. We typically run the generator away from the dock but during the switch over there is a power loss and keeping it DC keeps the system on at all times and some times we turn off the generator while under way. System is robust as we have Starlink on ethernet WAN, cellular SIMs in the Peplink, and WiFi WAN on 2.4 and 5ghz. Multiple WANs for multiple situations. Icing on the cake is Peplink's Speedfusion, we use the Smoothing function for WiFi calling, video conferencing, and other high availability requirements.

very interesting..
(and i love the setup)

i wanted to make sure i understood..
you keep the BR1 inside housing for the EPNT-1 antenna?
(nice specs on the antenna regardless..and about half price of competitors)

chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 07:40   #33

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Jordan, you post some excellent information.

You may not have heard, as it's a fairly recent discovery, but the antenna itself runs on 12v! Starlink hops it up to 48v to minimize losses in the thin wires of the ethernet cable supplying power to the antenna, but at the antenna they convert it back down to 12v. Someone published a hack where they disabled that down-converter in the antenna & fed it 12v directly. I think this is what the OP is talking about.
Kind of you to say Jon. And no, I was not aware that the dish is converting back to 12v, have not seen that article. Personally, I'm quite happy with the current setup, using the boost converter to feed 48v to the dish. I have not seen the data on what losses of efficiency exist in making that conversion, but my hunch is it is minimal.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 07:51   #34

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
There are multiple reports that Starlink power needs are going down. The V2 dish and included router used to average 45 watts. I saw one report of 30 watts off a Victron inverter

. Maybe this is due to improvements in the software or the larger number of satellites requires less searching.

This means that the benefit of a 12v conversion becomes pretty small. Maybe 10 watts. Maybe less. A lot depends on how good your 45v converter is. Many of those sold on Amazon are much less efficient than a quality inverter like a Victron.
For me, the power consumption advantages of avoiding 110v operation is only part of the picture - while my boat is not small, it is not gigantic either, and the SL Router is massive for what it does. I already have/had a 12v WiFi router and do not want to sacrifice whatever space I have left for another router, or spend more money (and deal with the additional clutter of yet another cable) for the SL Ethernet adapter to allow me to integrate the SL with my existing WiFi router.

In addition, in my mind, an Inverter is a piece of equipment which is far more likely to fail than my 12v system. If my inverter dies (it's happened before) life goes on. Sure, we can't use the microwave oven or the vacuum cleaner without running the genset, but we will still have Internet access.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 08:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
How are the yaosheng adapters working? Do they run hot?
working without any issues. didnt know they get hot, im not checking them regularly, they are also in the engine room which does get very hot..
boating4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 08:19   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
very interesting..
(and i love the setup)

i wanted to make sure i understood..
you keep the BR1 inside housing for the EPNT-1 antenna?
(nice specs on the antenna regardless..and about half price of competitors)

yes the epnt1 fits a few peplink models, the new br1 pro being one, older transits another, and i think the mini. would have been nice if the balance 20x fit but honestly after reading the specs on the B20x it has temperature limitations. it seems to be working great for handling starlink, the cabin AP, wifi WAN, and the cellular WAN.
boating4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 19:03   #37

Boat: Hunter 356

A couple thoughts.

Inverters, even small ones are pretty efficient- like wellover 90%.

I have a little different deployment. I go cruising to get away from the internet. So, once a day, I set the antenna down on the deck under the dodger. No base. Face up. Use the data for 30 minutes or so, then disassemle and stow until the next day.

So, if you’re not trying to work underway, there are alternatives.
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 20:32   #38

There are two ways to power your Starlink. Both are 12v

1. 12v to 110v inverter to Starlink router

2. 12v to 45v converter to Starlink dish plus 12v to router (which generally is a Peplink)

Option 1 uses about 50 watts and costs $50 for a good inverter - or $0 if you already have an inverter which most boats big enough for Starlink do.

Option 2 also uses about 50 watts for the 45v converter and to power the Peplink. It costs about $1000 because Peplinks are expensive

This is because most of the power use is inside the dish and is the same for option 1 or 2.

Spending the extra money for Option 2 usually only makes sense if you also want to spend $200 extra per month for a couple of cell sims plus Peplink’s Speedfusion. This more than doubles your cost since Starlink alone is only $150/month.

I use Starlink for work and find it plenty fast such that I don’t need to spend twice as much per month on sims. After six months I sold my Peplink on EBay.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 20:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
In addition, in my mind, an Inverter is a piece of equipment which is far more likely to fail than my 12v system. If my inverter dies (it's happened before) life goes on. Sure, we can't use the microwave oven or the vacuum cleaner without running the genset, but we will still have Internet access.
The problem is not your 12v system — it’s the 45v converter. These are mostly junk sold on Amazon and not designed for marine use. They are much less reliable than a marine quality inverter from a company like Victron. I know two people who went back to 110v after their 45v converters died.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 02:02   #40

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Wow

We simply turn ours on in the morning and off after we finish using it. Then on again later if we want to do something - watch a movie f.x.

we run off a 3000w inverter - but ok we have 750 watts of solar and 660AH AGMs so power is generally not an issue for us

When we run it - SL uses between 35-45W not even worth worrying about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power