Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 11:25   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Precise charging voltages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Dolson View Post
Thank you, Noelex. Going over the specs, I realized I had 1,144 Ah of battery (two of these on the keel) by standard measurement, a good thing, and that they were tubular design which I believe makes them more robust as to shock. The old ones from same manufacturer withstood much.

For years it was my job to burrow past the smiles and get real info. My calls have been to the manufacturer, not local reps, but you're right, I kept getting routed to "Sales" where current knowledge was, and I quote, "you turn the knob for how long you want it to charge." I now have the name for an engineer with the firm. He's been out.

John61Ct's comment about 3 amp taper goes to a point I think you made in another thread about Victron. I can't find it now but I think you said that setting the tailing charge amp is not available on Victron, so watching amperage drop over time is key.

I've set absorption voltage at 14.8 and float at 13.8, but the Victron MPPT makes a decision when to go to float based on an algorithm unknown to me.
It's Absorb Hold Time that needs to be extended until you observe endAmps is regularly being reached using your ammeter.

Too long, and you're overcharging too much / too often, bad for sealed batts.

Seasonal or usage pattern changes may require recalibrating.

Separate banks are treated independently.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:27   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Precise charging voltages?

see https://www.google.com/search?q=site...sorb+hold-time
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging