Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25   #1

Pro Mariner ss 30 putting out low voltage

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to sailing and new to this forum. I am having a charging issue and thought I would give it a try. I have a Bayfield 32 with two bank of house batteries....two sets of two six volt deep cycle batteries. I use them both as house batteries and starter batteries. I also have a new starter battery in storage with a set of booster cables in the case that I kill my house batteries. The boat was docked for about 5 days at the marina plugged into shore power. I leave the fridge on to keep a bunch of ice packs frozen instead of bringing them home to freeze. While on the water I keep the fridge going when the engine is running which keeps the ice packs frozen solid. Yesterday I went to the marina to go for a two day cruise and the batteries were dead....8 volts. I disconnected the charger and got a reading of 6 volts output on each bank lead. I am assuming this is not normal? I connected my spare directly to my engine and went on my way and charged the bank with the alternator. I went to remove the charger for repair but it is in a very difficult spot to reach under the stern seat which would require I remove all my batteries and a sea berth bulkhead ect......and I still don't know if I can get at it. So I figured I had better ask some questions first. Hope you can help! Thanks for you time.
Paul Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Pro Mariner ss 30 putting out low voltage

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Paul.

I don't see a Pro Mariner ss 30 listed. Can you give a better description of the charger?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Hey Gord the Promariner ss30 became the Pronautic 1230P

http://promariner.com/wp-content/upl...de-Charger.pdf

Welcome aboard Paul!

I am presuming you had shore power that did not get interrupted during the week and that the charger was indicating the correct lights etc.?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:00   #4

Thanks for replying Gord. I can only presume. I cant see any lights on the charger....in fact, I can barely see the charger as it is around a corner. I had to take a pic with my cell phone to get the info. It is 30 amp, 3 bank, automatic, commercial duty 3 amp charger. serial # 352050. However, would a temp power outage have the same effect as simply unplugging from shore and plugging back in again? Might sound like a dumb question but I am new at this game. I was just wondering if the charger has to be connected to a load in order for the smart end of the charger to access how much voltage to put out? Another thought just occurred to me. It was very hot here for some time now. I wonder is it a case where the 3 amps couldn't keep up with the demand of the load with the fridge on and eventually killed everything? It is a beefy bank though with 4 heavy deep cycle batteries which are in great shape.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey Gord the Promariner ss30 became the Pronautic 1230P ...
From the manual (Troubleshooting, page 20):

“... The first step to any problem is resetting the ProNauticP unit by turning off the AC breaker providing power, waiting at least 10 seconds and turning it back on again.
Review the Operations section for the meaning of the fault indicator and suggestions on how to clear the fault ...”

Does the “Amber” fault indicator light up (indicating DC system voltage is less than 11.0 VDC)?
OK, so you can't see it - perhaps you need the optional remote panel.

Manual ➥ http://promariner.com/wp-content/upl...L-VIEW-REV.pdf

Old 03-08-2014, 05:16   #6

Thanks Gord! I am an hour away from the boat so might be a few days before I get there. I will be reading that manual though. Will keep you posted!
Paul
Old 03-08-2014, 05:20   #7

Also, If and or when I have to remove the charger it will be remounted in a more suitable location. If there are any lights on the until it must be under a the cover. Maybe I should remove and remount anyways.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes: I'd recommend relocating the charger to a visible & accessible location, if possible.

Quote:
... would a temp power outage have the same effect as simply unplugging from shore and plugging back in again ...
Yes; anything that interrupts power to the charger (turn off beaker, unplug, power failure) will appear exactly the same to the charger.

Good lucK !!!

Tags
marine