Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2023, 14:59   #1

ProNautic and Sterling Power ProCharge - are they the same?

I've been reading various battery charger threads and it appears that the Promariner ProNautic 1240P Marine Charger and the Sterling Power ProCharge Ultra 1240 are basically the same.

I can get the Sterling for about $100 less, so is there any reason to look at the ProNautic instead?

I can't find a lot of info about mounting them in their manuals. I plan to mount the new charger where my old one was. The space is ventilated and there will be plenty of room all around the charger except at the top and bottom.

From the pictures it looks like they have an air vent at the top front and an air intake at the bottom. Has anyone mounted one with just about an inch of air space below it, where the air is sucked in? Did that work OK?

I'd prefer to mount it on its side but I did read that is not recommended. Anyone done that?

Thanks.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 17:04   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: ProNautic and Sterling Power ProCharge - are they the same?

I've been told the two are the same, but I can't prove it As for ventilation, we have a ProNautic 12-50P and if I don't open the compartment/locker door (which does have slats), the fan runs a LOT more, which tells me it is ventilation-sensitive (note that I have it charging a LiFEPO4 battery, which is a big load).

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:28   #3

Thanks.

I just came down to the boat and I think I can position it to have a bit more room. Our existing charger, which the manufacturer tells me isn't working properly, also runs the fan when it needs to do a lot of charging, so we are used to that.

I'm going to buy the Sterling, so decision is made
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:42   #4

MaineSail used to sell the Sterling and said it was identical to the ProNautic. I bought one off of him before his store shut down. Been happy with it although it doesn't see much use.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:43   #5

According to the new Sterling Pro Charger Ultra manual, they have an auxiliary cable connection that allows for remote on/off on the unit. I can;t see that anywhere in the manual for the Pronautic charger. We have a pronautic 1260p and I would like the option to turn it off remotely. Our boat is setup with a Victon Cerbo-s GX, so I have a relay I can control to turn something off and on. Hoping to use that for our 1260P, but I don;t believe it has the auxiliary cable feature. Has anyone done remote on off of their Pronautic charger?
Roy-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power