Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 16:48   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Properly Sizing DC Busbars?

I just realized i dont actually know how to choose the proper Amperage busbar for my DC positive and negative loads.

i want to feed all my charge sources to a single positive busbar and have one, possibly two negative busbars to consolidate my grounds.

do we size it according to max amperage of all the charge sources feeding it or max draw amperage for all the devices that would draw from it? neither?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Properly Sizing DC Busbars?

Draw from it. Add up the uses. How are you going to isolate the sources? 1-2-all switch?

The posible amps from the sources doesn't matter, assuming there is a fuse or circuit breaker in there in case of a short, because current that is not being used at the other end doesn't go through the busbar.
Old 09-11-2020, 17:16   #3
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Draw from it. Add up the uses. How are you going to isolate the sources? 1-2-all switch?

The posible amps from the sources doesn't matter, assuming there is a fuse or circuit breaker in there in case of a short, because current that is not being used at the other end doesn't go through the busbar.
Correct. Definately everything will be properly fused between sources and the bus bar.

I dont have a complete list of gadgets that will draw from it (positive busbar/house bank) but it (my house bank) will also do starting duty as well as supply all DC loads at the distribution panel.
Old 09-11-2020, 17:41   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

Check all the ratings of the busbar. Not all amp ratings are for the same heat rise. Also, some are rated for Max current end-to-end while others are center-to-end.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

And then leave a generous margin. Electronics draws tend to proliferate.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:41   #6
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Check all the ratings of the busbar. Not all amp ratings are for the same heat rise. Also, some are rated for Max current end-to-end while others are center-to-end.
Noted, ty.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:43   #7
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
And then leave a generous margin. Electronics draws tend to proliferate.
any harm in grossly over-sizing a busbar since its essentially just a pass-through? i can see how under-sizing might be an issue but over-sizing?
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
any harm in grossly over-sizing a busbar since its essentially just a pass-through? i can see how under-sizing might be an issue but over-sizing?

No harm. Only penalty from over-sizing is that you end up with a heavier, bigger, more expensive bus bar. But functionally, it'll be as good or better.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:19   #9

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I chose to just over size my bus bars. All my switched and unswitched bars are 600amp powebars from blue seas. Even everything running I should at very most be around 280-290, and that's if my short power and alternator is pumping max into the system.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I chose to just over size my bus bars. All my switched and unswitched bars are 600amp powebars from blue seas. Even everything running I should at very most be around 280-290, and that's if my short power and alternator is pumping max into the system.
280-290amps......DC?? DC bus bars for Shore power? Are you possibly mixing AC and DC concepts here? I've never seen DC Shorepower.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:24   #11
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
No harm. Only penalty from over-sizing is that you end up with a heavier, bigger, more expensive bus bar. But functionally, it'll be as good or better.
wow yeah they do get expensive quick. if i can get away with it though, i think its worth it. i much prefer to overbuild systems when i can.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:27   #12
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
280-290amps......DC?? DC bus bars for Shore power? Are you possibly mixing AC and DC concepts here? I've never seen DC Shorepower.
maybe he means AC shore power through charger outputting 60 (or whatever charger outputs) AMPs DC to charge bus? with engine running alt could be pumping another 60+ easily it seems if you run everything to a single charge bus.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:31   #13
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
interesting, thanks. i was looking at those. Mainesail has a couple left on his website (650 AMP) version. my credit card is going to melt but at least my wires wont.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:45   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You only need to look at the connected battery banks. If you have one bank then the busbar must be at least rated for the value of it’s fuse. If you have multiple banks, sum their fuses.

You basically choose between 250A and 500+A. That’s where most busbars go from one size to the next. A 300/400A battery fuse puts you into the expensive category.

BTW, buy a bigger busbar rather than two. Each stud can have up to 4 terminals but see my recent thread about that as stud height limits that number when they are all bug sizes. I would limit it to 2 per stud for the big ones (3/0 and 4/0) then add at most one 2/0 or 1/0 plus a small one. This allows washer and nut to fit on there comfortably.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:54   #15

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

That is not mixing ac. My shore power pushes 125amps through the unswitched distribution bar(which also contains my solar and alternator connection)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope