Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 10:52   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: propshaft driving an alternator , when sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
What about a generator instead of an alternator. Less spin resistance and rpm need? Or more?
you would need to regulate voltage through a range of different rpm's.
generators generally work at a fixed rpm and rely on the torque of the engine to compensate for loads.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:10   #32

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

My sailing club asked me to let install a prop shaft alternator on a Contest 42 by Conyplex in the Netherlands. That thing produced not much power and failed very often, as the engine bilge was very small and not deep. If water (salt water!) intruded through the stuffing box the huge pulley on the prop shaft sprayed the salty water around. What a mess! Better not to find out the price of the W produced. For me it is clear: never again.
Today there are several trailing systems available. Some of them good value for money some very pricey but very powerful (Wattandsea) and used during round the globe races.
My two cents but good luck
onavegador
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
Max Prop used to mention in their literature that it would work with a shaft driven alternator. If you stop the engine in reverse the Max Prop will spin in reverse driving the alternator with the engine off.
Stop the engine in forward the Max Prop feathers as normal and the shaft and prop don't turn.
Never saw one hooked up but always seemed an elegant solution.
Tom
This was actually quite a common arrangement on Amel boats before they shifted from MaxProp to Autoprop. The Autoprop worked fine with a propshaft alternator without fussing. All you did was NOT lock it from rotation when sailing.

The propshaft alternator was a very popular option on Amels delivered to European customers. More so than Americans for some reason.

Of course the Amel has a lot of room in the engine space for mounting, and there is no shaft packing gland to spray salt water around either. Kind of the ideal setup for this.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:37   #34
Marine Service Provider

As mentioned several time on this forum, a free-wheeling prop on a boat, or an airplane, creates parasite drag equal to a solid disk the size of the prop's diameter. Add a Mickey Mouse alternator lash-up to that and you are really sucking the power out of your sails. Wind generators do the same thing unless you are anchored or in the marina.

Solar? No drag, of course.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:53   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Long story short it is folly!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 11:57   #36

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I have had a small 25A car alternator connected via some idler pulleys ( to increase the RPM ) to the prop shaft. it worked reasonably well, except the noise was driving me nuts.
Chucked it all out, too noisy!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 15:15   #37

Boat: Moody 425

Hi,

When I purchased my Moody, it came with a propshaft alternator, although not fitted. The couple I bought it from were Norwegian and he, a Rolls Royce marine engineer, had fitted it. Through some correspondence and Google translate, I learned that he had the alternator rewired in New Zealand to excite at a much lower speed due to the lower RPM produced. After a while he modified the field circuit to include a thermistor to drop excitation as the alternator was getting hot due to reduced air flow. I am yet to set it up so don't know how much power it will produce. I have just been given the generator off a trolling generator system and am thinking that may be an easier alternative.

Regards

Russ
Blue Reef Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 16:29   #38

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We crossed several oceans with some friends on a Najad 39 that had a very simple system of a freewheeling prop shaft driving a small alternator. My friend, René, said that it developed enough power to run his autopilot.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 16:40   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We crossed several oceans with some friends on a Najad 39 that had a very simple system of a freewheeling prop shaft driving a small alternator. My friend, René, said that it developed enough power to run his autopilot.

Fair winds and calm seas.
the system i built provided the constant 16 amp 24v draw 24/7 on the boat required for the auto pilot,radar , plotter and 3 fridges on their atlantic crossing
Old 26-08-2018, 17:19   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
As mentioned several time on this forum, a free-wheeling prop on a boat, or an airplane, creates parasite drag equal to a solid disk the size of the prop's diameter. Add a Mickey Mouse alternator lash-up to that and you are really sucking the power out of your sails. Wind generators do the same thing unless you are anchored or in the marina.

Solar? No drag, of course.
And discredited every time by posters who understand physics and by empirical data. Let's keep this thread on topic.

The power is sucked from the wind as you state but as others have posted, it would hardly be noticed. In most trade wind and passage sailing conditions, some sails are partly reefed so if you are slowed, add a little more sail area.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 17:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One question though, alternators have brushes correct?
It’s not usually good to turn a brushed component backwards as the brushes wear faster. It’s obviously done, look at a reversible drill, but I think I’d still look at a way to disengage when motor was running, cause the the alternator is turning backwards
This more of an issue with brushes on commutators rather than on slip rings; alternators use slip rings.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-08-2018, 17:35   #42

Just an observation which may not be relevant. Harmonic vibrations at certain conditions will destroy 'Stators" in Alternators" in certain conditions. It is probably not worth the effort to remote mount the alternator away from the engine ie. on the engine bearers as the suspension of the alternator to prevent the transfer of vibration will require some allowance for belt flex. Which will only work with lots of experimentation?
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 17:40   #43

Question for the engineers on the thread.
Is there any meaningful side load on the shaft with coupled to the alternator as described up thread and if so, is this an issue?
Old 26-08-2018, 17:50   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Question for the engineers on the thread.
Is there any meaningful side load on the shaft with coupled to the alternator as described up thread and if so, is this an issue?
generally the pulley is on the output flange of the gearbox between the prop shaft coupling and gearbox coupling with the alternator supported by mounts on the engine and gearbox so no appreciable side preassure apart from on the output bearing of the gearbox.

the one i designed was directly above the thrust bearing and commected to the bearing mount of the flexible coupling mounts, so no side load on the shaft
Old 26-08-2018, 18:58   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This more of an issue with brushes on commutators rather than on slip rings; alternators use slip rings.

Yes, I was actually thinking of the admonishment of don’t turn a turbine engines starter / generator backwards as it will break off the sharp edge of the brushes, but as you said those are commutators, not slip rings.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, sail, sailing