Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Protecting the Alternator Regulator from Incorrect Shutdown

Quote:
So it was pure coincidence that the alternator stopped working the moment this was done?
as other posts have said, the "ignition" key should never have the alternator supply fed through it and in practice Ive never seen it done ( Maine Sail). Therefore theres no way to damage anything if you turn it off. electricity isnt voodoo.

Also in practice its a very easy mistake to make as many people think its like a car. Hence Ive never seen the igniton key wired to cause any trouble if it was turned off before the engine stops.( and in fact on many motor boats the key is wired to fucntion exactly like in a car, with a loss of electricity to activate the stop)

Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

After looking through the Mouser Electronics catalog, I found no Zener diodes as big as I had recommended.
In actual practice, the current and voltage spike which needs to be absorbed by the zener is of such a short duration that one doesn't need a powerfully rated diode.
The one suggested by Gord would suffice.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16   #18
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
After looking through the Mouser Electronics catalog, I found no Zener diodes as big as I had recommended.
In actual practice, the current and voltage spike which needs to be absorbed by the zener is of such a short duration that one doesn't need a powerfully rated diode.
The one suggested by Gord would suffice.

I fail to see unless you want to protect the alternator against the battery switch being inadvertently disconnected, why you would want to use transzorbs or other protective devices. Most of these devices can tend to have a one time use and it may not be obvious that they are dead. also many modern alternator regulators actually contain "crowbar" circuits that protect the regulator and diodes.

But the OPs problem wasnt this.
Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is a bit of a marine "old wives tale", There should be no electrical reason why shutting off the "ignition", before stoping the engine, has any electrical effect. other then de-powering the panel and de-energising the alternator "excite". sometime rule was needed as the power to the stop solonoid was passed through the ignition switch, which is bad practice.

Dave

David--Your observation may be entirely correct. Never the less, over the years I have seen several instances on several yachts where shutting off the "ignition" (undoubtedly a misnomer) before the engine stop cause problems with wiring for whatever reason--and in one case disallowed the engine stop solenoid to work at all. Given that, shutting the engine down before closing the power circuit seems an easy enough procedure, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:46   #20
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
before the engine stop cause problems with wiring for whatever reason--and in one case disallowed the engine stop solenoid to work at all.
I mentioned that the only issue that can be a problem is that some panels disable the supply to the stop solenoid, so the panel/ignition has to be left on to stop the engine, its a bad setup.

Other then that there simply is no scenario where shutting down the panel affects anything. ( other then de-exciting the alternator in some cases). of course there are times when panels have become a wiring mess.

Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... also many modern alternator regulators actually contain "crowbar" circuits that protect the regulator and diodes...
I wasn't aware of this. Please name one.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57   #22

So the field wire from the alt needs to be connected to 12 volts If this is connected tru the ign sw will the alt be harmed when shutting off the sw? The field wire from my alt connects to 12v tru a oil pressure switch When oil pressure rises the alt charges when the oil pressure drops no charging Is this normal?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
So the field wire from the alt needs to be connected to 12 volts If this is connected tru the ign sw will the alt be harmed when shutting off the sw? The field wire from my alt connects to 12v tru a oil pressure switch When oil pressure rises the alt charges when the oil pressure drops no charging Is this normal?
Our Ford Lehman 120 in our trawler is set up the same way. Most of these Marine Traders are set up that way too. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38   #24

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post

IMHO, that's the best way.
Shutting off the switch causes the alternator to quit charging, thus protecting the diodes in the alternator.
By routing the 12 volts through an oil pressure switch, it allows for a delay in charge start.
This preventing the starter motor from having to deal with a larger alternator load while cranking the engine.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:53   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Ditto. I know none of the Balmars are protected and have not come across any Leece-Neville alts that are either and I install a lot of both.. Perhaps on the automotive side of the world but I see no point in this extra cost added feature...

I would love to know which alts are internally protected from load disconnecting and is this a "one time" feature like many of the Zap Stop devices are?
Old 07-07-2011, 15:16   #26
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

European vehicles must meet ISO 7637 pulse 5 test, which is a load dump test, simulating disconnecting the battery lead while the alternator is powered up. The Test pulse must be successfully clamped. This was done with Transzorbs, now increasing done with FET clamps. These are now being built directly into European alternator regulators.

Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 15:32   #27

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Also being found in a number of alternators for use in aircraft. If the circuit detects an overage, the crowbar shorts the extra load to ground and trips a circuit breaker to protect the alternator.

http://www.planepower.com/images/Bro...LTERNATORS.pdf

http://www.lightaircraftassociation....04OverVolt.pdf
Old 07-07-2011, 15:55   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Did someone say that turning the battery switch off while the engine is running will cause problems?mine is a yanmar gm2-20f if it makes a difference.Thanks DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
European vehicles must meet ISO 7637 pulse 5 test, which is a load dump test, simulating disconnecting the battery lead while the alternator is powered up. The Test pulse must be successfully clamped. This was done with Transzorbs, now increasing done with FET clamps. These are now being built directly into European alternator regulators.

Dave
Any alts for marine use sold in the US with this? Seems like a good fit...
Old 08-07-2011, 18:37   #30

Boat: Taswell 49
My 8 year old frequently forgets to push the stop prior to turning off the key. No problems yet other than panel goes dead and electric lift pump stops which I guess could cause a problem after a bit. I'm curious how the OPs kit could have been wired with the load thru the key switch. I would not think the key switch could handle the amps for that long.

Tags
alternator, regulator