Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 05:28   #16

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Provide 100+ watts through USB-C

Spec for charger says it can run laptop and charge batteries at the same time, that’s why the power use is high.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:56   #17

My wife’s Surface Pro runs off the 12v cigarette plug (Which is why we bought it). We did have to make sure we purchased the beefier 30watt (18watt to the usb c) version. A standard charger plug doesn’t work.

I believe we have this one here https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger.../dp/B07GZ78R6D
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 14:42   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

A Surface Pro needs a lot less power than a Dell laptop
(About 1/3)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 14:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A Surface Pro needs a lot less power than a Dell laptop
(About 1/3)
Ah. I thought a notebook was small like the SurfacePro. Clearly I’m not a computer guy. iPad person here. Lol!
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:50   #20

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Noooo!! USB is, by default, always 5VDC. With the more recent USB Power Delivery specs the higher voltages can be negotiated over the data lines, but just jamming in a higher voltage won't work and might even damage something
People use USB cords to plug their phones into 12v outlets in their cars all the time. It doesn't hurt anything.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:09   #21

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
People use USB cords to plug their phones into 12v outlets in their cars all the time. It doesn't hurt anything.
No, people plug there USB cords into USB outlets powered by 12v.
That's not the same as connecting your USB device directly to 12V through a USB-C cord (you would need to make a special connection to do this).
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 13:11   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I don't mean to offend, but... It is one thing to make a mistaken statement, but before correcting someone you really should check your facts first. As I posted earlier USB ALWAYS is at 5VDC to start, and only changes if a compatible device negotiates over the data lines to raise the voltage to various pre-defined voltage levels (which only happens when both the power supply and the consuming device have the PD, QC, or compatible spec interface). If you plug a simple pigtail into a USB socket and measure the voltage it will always be 5V, no if's, and's, or but's. Some modern cars offer built-in USB interfaces, but behind the socket is a 12V->5V DC-DC converter (and possibly the PD or QC controller chip). The cigarette lighter USB adapters also have the DC-DC converter chip, and sometimes a PD or QC chip. Personally I do not like the built-in sockets as the standards keep advancing and the easiest way to keep up is to just replace the cigarette lighter adapter. BTW I use old cigarette lighter adapters elsewhere to power 5V GPS pucks from 12V.

If you want to know more read the Wikipedia article on USB.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 19:28   #23

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I don't mean to offend, but... It is one thing to make a mistaken statement, but before correcting someone you really should check your facts first.
Please check my comment first. I think there's been a misunderstanding. I originally asked why the OP would need an inverter, when he could simply plug a USB-C powered laptop into a 12v outlet. I thought it was obvious I meant a USB cigarette lighter type plug (that normally has a fuse) in that outlet - I didn't mean hooking it up directly to 12v bare wires!
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote