Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 15:24   #1

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Question re: Genset Charging Own Battery

And likely a dumb question from a layman at that so bear with, please.

My 8kw diesel genset has its own alternator which charges its own separate battery. The genset batt is also charged, however, by my Xantrex 50A charger which I generally have on when the genset is running (there is no way to easily separate the genset from the other batt. banks). Are both the genset DC alt. and the 110v charger then charging the genset batt. at the same time? Does this scenario call for installation of an external smart regulator on the genset alt.? My batts are all AGM so cooking the genset batt from overcharging is probably not a big concern. Along the same lines, I never use the 110v charger when I'm also running the engine. Is doing so also a potential issue in the absence of a smart regulator on the engine alts?

Just trying to get a clearer sense of these different ways of charging my batts and how they interact. Would also be nice not to destroy my newish LifeLines! Thanks -- Dan.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 15:31   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Question re: Genset Charging Own Battery

Dan:

You can have several sources of charging: a shore power charger, an alternator on your genset and even solar panels (with an appropriate controller of course). These will all co-exist peacefully. No worries.

But there is another issue your post brings up. Can the house batteries also discharge the genset starting battery leaving you high and dry? You need to think about how to isolate the genset starting battery with an isolator a battery combiner, an echo charger, or a switch.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 15:37   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
My batts are all AGM so cooking the genset batt from overcharging is probably not a big concern.
ogh yes it is, very much so a concern
Old 27-09-2011, 20:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
ogh yes it is, very much so a concern
Yes, I'm aware of this in the general sense which is what prompted my concern over overcharging the genset batt when I have both the genset & 110 batt charger running simultaneously. My understanding, however, is that AGM's can accept a higher charge rate (to a max of 14.4v I think) than say a wet cell batt. Don't know much about gel's.
Old 27-09-2011, 21:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Dan:

You can have several sources of charging: a shore power charger, an alternator on your genset and even solar panels (with an appropriate controller of course). These will all co-exist peacefully. No worries.

But there is another issue your post brings up. Can the house batteries also discharge the genset starting battery leaving you high and dry? You need to think about how to isolate the genset starting battery with an isolator a battery combiner, an echo charger, or a switch.

David
I have two house banks controlled by a 1-2-ALL switch, and a dedicated engine batt. with it's own on-off switch. Since my Xantrex only has 3 ports, the gen batt. is charged with a BEP Voltage Sensitive Relay which runs off of one of the House batts. The gen batt also has it's own on-off switch.

Does your point re: peaceful co-existance mean that I can charge my batts. using more than one source simultaneously w/o risk of overcharging? In my case it would be the DC alternators off the genset or main engine, along with the 110v batt charger.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:13   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Yes, that was my point. No harm will come from having two or more charge sources going simultaneously. And your VSR will protect the genset battery from discharging with the house banks.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Yes, that was my point. No harm will come from having two or more charge sources going simultaneously. And your VSR will protect the genset battery from discharging with the house banks.

David
Thank you much for the info.

Love Oriental, btw. Hope you guys are recovering OK from Irene.

Tags
battery, charging