Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2019, 12:43   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Relocating batteries

Hey all,

While I am undergoing my refit, I am debating about moving my batteries from under the cockpit sole(behind the engine) as they are quite cumbersome to get to.

Where do you all store yours? I was thinking about moving mine to under the settee on the port side as the starboard side has a water tank.

I was also thinking I could move them under the aft cabin berth(where the starter battery is) and also the extra water tank(which is unused due to a leak) and also a diesel tank. If I moved the batteries here, I would remove the water tank and install a new one where the port settee is(or maybe just a water maker).

Either way, I'd like to see what others have done. I current have AGM lifeline 6V batteries (4) but they are due for replacement. I am not completely closed to trojan 105, but would prefer AGM as I have had an 8D burst and cause havoc.

What say yee?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 13:45   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Relocating batteries

I’d start by finding a tape measure. Then look at cable routing. Venting isn’t really a consideration but some folks are paranoid about that. My biggest issue would be ease of access.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:07   #3

Weight distribution and list is something you should also consider. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:21   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Well, I know it's a heated topic but about two years ago we upgraded our bank to 5 LiFePo 100Ah batteries from Battleborn. Tons of power, zero maintenance, deeper discharges, and 70% lighter than our old lead acids. At 30lbs. each you could literally mount them up on deck and not have to worry about "weight distribution"....
1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 15:15   #5

I was definitely thinking about weight distribution as a concern. If i mounted below aft cabin berth, I could just not have a water tank on that side and in theory, be roughly equal. This should give me about 40 gallons of water on the starboard tank. That in turn would force me to install a water maker prior to setting off.

Mines a 42ft mono thats already quite heavy. I dont think adding the bank to one side would drastically affect my performance. Moving the batteries to under the berth would be about a 8-10ft span, vs moving to under the settee would be atleast a 20ft span from where it currently is located. Would significantly reduce my 3/0 cable run to the bow for the windlass for sure.

I am not too worried about venting IF i go with AGM. FLA i'd be a little more cautious on.

As for LiFePo, I am not sure I can afford it as I'd have to upgrade my Magnum Interver/Charger. I'd rather go with Firefly AGM's as it gets me close to LiFePo performance and aren't terribly heavy(71lbs @ 110amps).

I'll have to evaluate cable runs from shore power plug to where inverter/charger would be and where my AC panel should be located. Maybe will be able to moev my DC/AC system to the nav station from under the companionway.
Old 23-07-2019, 12:40   #6

Well its decided folks. I picked up two Firefly Oasis batteries yesterday. I started with moving the improperly wired Magnasine MS2812 Inverter/Charger(DC wired correctly, but AC wiring incorrect) while leaving our TrueCharge 40+ in place.

The previous owner had some interesting setup I will say. Very complicated that was quite difficult to understand.

The new location is more off-center than the previous location, but more centered towards the mast. I can fit 3 Group 31's comfortably here, while a 4th would need to be separated out a little more(though a slight mod may make it feasible to keep them together). I will be sticking the Magnasine inverter/charger just near the batteries(under the settee) as well. This location is allowing me to reduce the cable size i would have needed(3/0) to 0awg. Granted now that my alternator is farther away, I will have to deal with that, so a net neutral trade off IMO.
Old 23-07-2019, 14:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you've got lead/acid batteries servicing the water level is always a problem when batteries are difficult to get to. If you decide to leave the batteries in their current place you should consider a remote watering systems. One of my batteries is buried and requires pulling one battery so the buried one can be serviced. Needless to say it got neglected and eventually ruined by low liquid levels. Bought a remote fill kit when I got the replacement battery. Makes it super easy to keep the liquid level up not only in the buried battery but the other batteries in the bank. Just plug the bulb pump into the remote fill and the other end in distilled water and batteries are topped up with a few pumps of the bulb. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Ba...-p/55-8752.htm
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 14:13   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post

As for LiFePo, I am not sure I can afford it as I'd have to upgrade my Magnum Interver/Charger. I'd rather go with Firefly AGM's as it gets me close to LiFePo performance and aren't terribly heavy(71lbs @ 110amps).

I’m not aware of any issues with using Magnum inverter/chargers with lithium. Using the advanced remote the charge voltage can be tailored to your specifics. Is there a problem I’m not aware for?
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 17:28   #9

Excellent point - just did a quick search and it seems I would be able to use it with lifepo4 batteries.

Sadly the cost of them is still too great.

With firefly being 80% usable capacity, gives me 88amps per.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I’m not aware of any issues with using Magnum inverter/chargers with lithium. Using the advanced remote the charge voltage can be tailored to your specifics. Is there a problem I’m not aware for?

Tags
batteries