Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 10:19   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Removable solar panels

I want to add solar to the boat but am weary about doing any sort of drilling into the fiberglass and would ultimately like to move them. I would appreciate any feedback on these. I’m thinking of Renogy panels, either the 200w suitcase foldable or a pair of the 100w flexible. I like to mount on the Bimini for longer trips and then run the cable down the piping and into a hatch into my “garage” where the battery charger is at. Can I use a magnetic accessory to attach the solar to the Bimini or bungee cords? Any benefit of either of these panels? Flexible would be lighter weight but from what I have read more fragile. Would the foldable ones be too heavy for the Bimini? I may also mount them on the bow or somewhere else on the foredeck depending on use. Also, If there are better foldable panels out there, I’d appreciate the recommendation!

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Extrem...6260679&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr..._dp&th=1&psc=1
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:28   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Removable solar panels

You can mount or place your panels anywhere you want them.

Most of mine are tied on so I can turn them to face the Sun, but the smaller ones I just lay out.

One of the small ones fell off the cockpit seating area here after it got rough. Start of video.

Solar is my only power source. There's no alternator on the outboard.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 05:48   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

We've helped plenty of sailors add SunPower flexible solar panels to their canvas bimini and/or dodger. Lightweight, flexible & powerful with them up on your bimini they have a low profile and are discreet.

In terms of the install there's bungees, lashings, magnets, sewing in a velcro 'pocket' is popular, that or zippers. Also the LOXX fasteners are a great solution if you're taking the panels on and off regularly. You can pick them up at sailrite.com
Old 21-03-2021, 06:47   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can mount or place your panels anywhere you want them.

Most of mine are tied on so I can turn them to face the Sun, but the smaller ones I just lay out.

One of the small ones fell off the cockpit seating area here after it got rough. Start of video.

Solar is my only power source. There's no alternator on the outboard.

Nice setup! You got to love those days in the chesapeake! They are the best!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels