Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 12:07   #61

Boat: Amel Euros 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post

I don't think so. I think that's a very slanted statement. I have as said before had good fortune with lifeline. Fun as it is to create a slant. No one is providing easy plug and play next gen batts. It's still early. Even mainsail says it's not for the novice installer. If your putting batts on get the charge stuff right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's how business works -- car dealer is not your friend, doesn't matter how friendly he is.
You have treated your batteries right and they have worked for you for a long time. I would guess that you will have similar success with many of them: Lithiums or gels or FLA.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 12:24   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As far as allowing acid to get into your bilge, I believe if acid comes into contact with saltwater one result is chlorine gas, which of course can kill.
That's not true. There is now chemical reaction when battery acid gets into contact with sea water. Acid just get's diluted.
Old 27-03-2014, 12:50   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Replacing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
OK sorry for the thread drift or hijack, but this question is on-topic. I'm also considering which batteries to get next. What would you do? The situation:

Present situation is 3 banks (start, house, bow), joined by voltage sensing relays (one each Yandina battery combiners connect the house bank to the start, and house bank to the bow bank). Alternator has internal regulation and is connected to the GRP 24 FLA start battery. Solar panels with Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller are connected to the house bank consisting of 3x GRP24 FLA. Bow bank is one GRP24 FLA.
(Going forward I'm thinking of leaving the combiner switch so that the bow is joined full-time to the house).

I would want to keep existing start battery and replace house/bow with 4 Group 24 batteries (or something else that fits that space of 3+1 GRP24).

Choices:
1) replace with FLA from Costco for about $300
2) Replace with AGM for about $600-900
3) Replace with lower capacity LI for $1,000-$2,000 + unknown charging components to add
Based on the description I'd say stick with cheap lead, at least for your next round of batts. Sam's Club, in about half the locations, sells the Deka/East Penn product (the IDENTICAL BATTERIES WEST MARINE SELLS FOR LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE). Last time I checked the Costco batts were Johnson Controls..
Old 27-03-2014, 13:58   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
That's not true. There is now chemical reaction when battery acid gets into contact with sea water. Acid just get's diluted.

I don't think so, I know flooding the battery compartments in a Diesel sub is a major concern due to chlorine gas.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:20   #65

You could have a plutonium reactor with thermo couples and do away with batteries forever.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:33   #66

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
You could have a plutonium reactor with thermo couples and do away with batteries forever.

Not so easy. You need a ******** meter (bsm) to contain the discharge. Plutonium thermo couple reactors are only good if they have backing of a well found installer and groupies that jump blindz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:40   #67

Thats what nuclear bombs are for
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 23:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think so, I know flooding the battery compartments in a Diesel sub is a major concern due to chlorine gas.
I won't touch that topic again and I'm really sorry for a thread drift but I feel that on more comment is needed to put peoples minds on rest considering the chlorine gas issue. Firstly, to produce chlorine gas you need either electrolysis or specific catalysts. Won't happen in your boats bilge. Secondly, chlorine gas is much heavier then air and very reactive, so, if for some reason you have some of it around it will go into bilge and bleach your bilge water.
Old 28-03-2014, 02:27   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Before you splash out on new batteries are you sure the old ones are really dead?

Few years ago I was all set for a complete change but the guys at the marina said to leave them in their workshop for a couple of days. Apprently they put them on charge in a safe secure location and stuck one hell of a sustained charge current into them.

DO TRY THIS AT HOME.

it worked. I got another two seasons use out of them.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07   #70

Boat: Lagoon 440

Consider the latest battery technology http://powerjapanplus.com/battery/ before shelling out thousands on the current lithium technology.
My batteries are dead FLA 140ah- lasted 8 years. Have replaced them with AGM 140ah as the price was good at £190 each, Ok FLA would have been £120 each but I think that AGMs have benefits.

When I next look at replacing boat batteries I will be going with the latest technology which will probably be driven by the expansion of electric vehicle technology

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dinocuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
I won't touch that topic again and I'm really sorry for a thread drift but I feel that on more comment is needed to put peoples minds on rest considering the chlorine gas issue. Firstly, to produce chlorine gas you need either electrolysis or specific catalysts. Won't happen in your boats bilge. Secondly, chlorine gas is much heavier then air and very reactive, so, if for some reason you have some of it around it will go into bilge and bleach your bilge water.
Agreed, not a major safety issue as we can escape by going topside, but to say it just get's diluted isn't correct either, Funny if it's false, then it has persisted for a long time

DEADLY GAS IN SUBMARINES. - Edison Calls Attention to Danger When Lead Batteries Are Used. - Article - NYTimes.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote