Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 15:06   #1
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37
Reverse Polarity Question

I went to take the boat out today, Tartan 37 1983, and the reverse polarity light was on and the main tripped.

This was odd. Everything was fine yesterday and nothing to my knowledge has changed.

I plugged and unplugged, switched cords, turned to verious brakers off all to no solution. I then took the panel off and messed with the wires going into the breaker on the main. The switch has what appears to be tree distinct sections. 1) top0 ground bottom ground. 2 middle has hot in hot out. 3 has a lighter guage wire going to the polarity indicator light and a small wire from the hot 2 Middle to the out. If I take off the small wire going to the out or bottom of 3 and put it on the bottom of number 2 middle it does not trip and everything works.

Whats wrong? It is driving me crazy? Any thoughts other than it is obvious I have no clue what I am doing?

Thanks for any help.
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:06   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you had done nothing to the boat, I would suspect the pedestal.
It's not like there are any boat gremlins that switch wire while you are gone.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:24   #3

Boat: Irwin 40
The breaker you have is designed to trip if you have a reverse polarity situation. It is designed to protect you from an unsafe condition. If you defeat it you are opening yourself to problems. Inform the marina you are having a problem and have them check the power source. Do not plug in till it is fixed. If you want to learn more you can read my article on shore power safety at Project Boat Zen - Project boat zen home I talk about how to test for these very problems. I do not tlk about your type of breaker though i missed that. glad you brought this up I will have to do an update on it.

fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote