Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 06:55   #1

Rewiring System - Is it OK ?

Looking for some feedback/suggestions as I'm planning on doing some basic re-wiring on my boat.
My goals are to:
- Increase the charging capability of the genset by adding a 80A charger in parallel to the existing 40A.
- Introduce a solar regulator and 400w of panels (I'm mounting the panels tomorrow).
- Combine ta large 225AH Starter Gel into the house battery bank (making 675AH).
- Start the main motor off the battery which was previously dedicated to the geny starter.
- Simplify the whole system by removing 2 battery selector switches and a battery isolator & associated wiring.

I've done a 1st draft as attached.
One problem I have is that I need to be able to charge the starter battery off the main motor,solar etc. Currently it only charges off the 40A geny battery charger but given that now its the primary starter for the main engine I guess it needs to be charged from other sources as well. Is the best option here an echo charger?
Also I'm still not too sure about paralleling the 2 different battery chargers (although one manufactuer didnt think it would be a problem). I figure it wont hurt to try as other people have done it successfully.
Another thing which doesnt feel right is having both starter motors +ve's on the same switch terminal. I guess as long as I dont start both motors at once I maybe alright.
Any advice is appreciated as its all quiet new to me.
Cheers
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	17425  
bobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 07:03   #2

Also please dont anyone use my diagram as a reference for anything as I'm a newbie and there could well be something dramatically wrong with what I've done.
Old 29-06-2010, 07:18   #3

I'm answering my own questions. Came across a cheap alternative to the Xantrex echo charger to charge the starter battery.
The Simpler Solution Kit - Fourwinds Enterprises
Old 29-06-2010, 07:50   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Nice diagram Bobox. I can't tell you whether or not it is a good plan but did want to compliment you on your drawing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:36   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I AM NO EXPERT ON ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS, but I'd certainly be concerned about the plan to wire two chargers in parallel. I suspect that one charger will read the voltage being produced by the other, rather than reading the battery voltage, and simply shut itself down. What happens when they both go into trickle mode? I think you'd be better off wiring the 40A charger as an emergency back-up for the 80A, using a circuit where it's either one or the other, but never both.
Old 29-06-2010, 08:46   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
That is a nice diagram. I have a simular problem with having 3 charging sources and two battery banks. I'll diagram the system just like you did the next time I'm at the boat.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:00   #7

I understand the issue, I have to turn off my wind generator when running the alternator or else the alternator regulator thinks the batteries have a higher charge than they actually have.
In another post someone suggested running chargers in parallel as they were doing that successfully. I think though both chargers in that case were identical. I did email an Iota technician and they said it would not be a problem as far as their chargers were concerned. They did however recommend a better option was to buy there IQ4 paralleling unit which means one smart controller controls both chargers.
IQ4 Parallel Controller
I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I'll just switch the smaller one off and use it as a backup. I ordered the Samlex charger instead of the Iota in the end because it has temperature sensing and can be changed to 240v 60hz.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:02   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
I am using the IOTA charger and have them wired in parallel. It works fine. I leave one charger on when I am at a dock and use both when I am charging from the genset. It works fine. I did buy these chargers because they are advertised as working in parallel.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 07:54   #9

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
You can parallel different chargers - but basically they usually play well together only when in the bulk charging phase. The batteries draw so much current that they pull the voltage down to the point where both chargers pump as much current as they can, until they see the voltage reach their respective absorption voltage setpoints.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote