Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2010, 18:02   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Rolls Batteries--Worth It?

If you were replacing your house bank, would Rolls be a consideration? For some reason, I still have a preference for lead acid over AGM or Gel.

Feedback please from Rolls owners?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:09   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
From what I understand the top 3 Battery are Rolls, trojan and interstate.

Myself I went with Interstate U2200 6 volt 232 AH for $134 each and they fit great in my battery box to make up 1,160 ah.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:46   #3

Boat: Irwin 40
I had set of Rolls 8ds that lasted 8 years, I did not replace them with Rolls because I am stuck in the slip for a couple of years and no point in spending the money on batteries that will be on a charger 99% of the time. But when I cut lose again i would go back to them.

Fair winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 19:07   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I had Surrette batteries for most of the time I've owned my boat (over thirty years). As I understand things, Rolls are the equivalent of Surrette. The first set lasted three years before I screwed them up. The second set lasted fourteen years. The third set lasted eleven years before I screwed them up. The second and third set were connected to Pulse-Tech desulfators. After screwing up the third set I couldn't afford the Surrettes so I went with L16s from West Marine. It's been only about eight months now on the new batteries, still with Pulse-Techs, and now with a new MagnaSine charger inverter. Today's charge shows 12.8 volts at full charge. I don't know how much better the Rolls/Surrette batteries are than the L16s, but I'll let you know in a few years.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 19:08   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
If you are a live-aboard and full time cruiser where you will be exercising the batteries - absolutely. On my second bank and I get more capacity in less space than any other solution. Got 8 years out of the first bank and if I treated them a little better in the beginning I probably would have gotten more.

If you are weekend cruising with an occasional vacation thrown in you probably don't need to spend the premium.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 20:16   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
From what I understand the top 3 Battery are Rolls, trojan and interstate.

Myself I went with Interstate U2200 6 volt 232 AH for $134 each and they fit great in my battery box to make up 1,160 ah.

Dutch
Yes, I have the U2500 now. I think they are overrated and the Rolls are more conservatively rated.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 23:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
If you were replacing your house bank, would Rolls be a consideration? For some reason, I still have a preference for lead acid over AGM or Gel.

Feedback please from Rolls owners?
Just for the record, those are all Lead-Acid batteries, just constructed differently.
Windsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:19   #8

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
yes Lead-Acid batteries

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 06:31   #9

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Rolls-Surrette batteries are very expensive. When I considered them I worked out that even if I got ten years life from them, I'd still be out of pocket compared to two sets of Life-line AGM's. That didn't take into consideration the maintenance required for wet cell batteries and the amount of out-gassing when equalising. Nor did it consider what would happen in the (unlikely) event of a wet cell spilling acid. I've got a trawler but if I had a sail boat I'd want to consider that possibility a lot more, especially what would happen in the event of a 'knock-down'.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 06:51   #10

In my experience, I would stay away from Life-Line agm's! More than any other battery, I've seen many 1 and 2 year old life-Line bats drop dead! Surrette and Rolls are one in the same, Rolls is the US name, and Surrette is the Canadian name. They are made in Nova Scotia.
Gnitfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rolls