Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2022, 22:37   #1

Boat: Simpson Liahona 42
Rutland 1200 wiring and circuit protection

Hi all

I have ordered a Rutland 1200 wind generator and after reading the wiring instructions I have some concerns.
In the manual it states that there are to be no fuses or circuit breakers between the Rutland controller and the battery.
IMPORTANT: In service BAT1 must always remain connected to provide power to the controller. DO NOT install any switches, relays, VSRs, fuses etc that can even momentarily disconnect the battery. If the battery needs to be disconnected follow the Procedure to Shutdown and Start the Turbine and Solar Panel.

If this is the case then there is no protection to the wiring between the battery and the controller in the case of a short circuit, and this seems contrary to recommended practice, ABYC regs etc.

I have written to Marlec and they confirm the no fuse advice.

As the new wind generator is part of a bigger rewiring project to improve all the wiring and circuit protection in the charging and supply circuits I don't want a weakness in this area.

Can anyone throw some light on this?
Can anyone who has installed a Rutland 1200 tell me what they have done?

Regards
John
jkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 03:34   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Rutland 1200 wiring and circuit protection

Sorry I can't help you. But I did read:

"Built-in charge fuse protects the wiring circuit in the event of accidental reverse polarity connection."

Could that have anything to do with it?

https://www.solazone.com.au/wind-generators/rutland-wind-generators/

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 06:45   #3

Thanks for that thought coopec43.

As I understand it the fuse in the controller would protect the controller from that reverse polarity, but there would be no protection of the wire between the battery and controller in the case of wire damage causing a short circuit.
JK
Old 21-10-2022, 06:51   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Btw. If you plan to use LiFePo4 batteries with it, ask them to program outlet batt 2 accordingly.

We have our starter battery, a lead acid battery, attached to batt 1 and our LiFePo4 batteries to batt 2.
This way the Rutland controller keeps a power source if the BMS would shut down the LiFePo4 battery.
Which assures it can be shut down in a controlled manner.

We use separate solar controllers because the Rutland solar controller can not handle our 1200w solar.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:01   #5

Thanks Franziska
I don't have Lithium, but I had wondered about having a separate battery on 1 as a backup power supply for the controller, but this does not address the circuit protection question.
JK
Old 21-10-2022, 07:23   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We did not add one as Marlec recommended not to have one. In this case I trust more in the equipment manufacturer.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:42   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

It’s the issue of rapid alternator disconnect. If you fuse you need to add a protection system like sterling power APD style devices
Old 21-10-2022, 13:58   #8

Thanks for that suggestion goboatingnow. That makes sense. I’ll check it out and ask Marlec their opinion.
JK
Old 21-10-2022, 15:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

+1 to below. This is exactly the issue. Fuse blows and then the diodes in the rutland fry.
It’s the issue of rapid alternator disconnect. If you fuse you need to add a protection system like sterling power APD style devices
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 18:32   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Rutland is interested in protecting their equipment. They have very little interest in protecting your wiring.

Their advice regarding fusing demonstrates this position.

If you decide to follow the Rutland advice (i.e. don't provide fusing), then you need to take another approach to protect your wiring.

IMO, the easiest way to protect for possible shorts in the wiring is to provide good physical separation between the +ve and -ve conductors, double insulated wiring, well secured looms and protect against chaffing of looms.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 18:42   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

After thinking about it I would put in a fuse close to the battery that is correct to protect whatever size wire you are running to the rutland. I might upsize that wire by a size or two from what is actually needed thus making the only way you blow the fuse would be from an accidental dead short. Odds of that happening on normal operations or from a rutland internal problem would be very low but you and boat are both protected. Think about it if something bad happens and you are fused you might have to pay a shop to put a couple of diodes into the rutland. If something bad happens and you are not fused you could start a boat fire and be trying to buy a new boat. ABYC has this one right. The rutland directions are crazy stupid in my opinion. But as I say. Your boat your choice 😀. Best wishes.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 00:13   #12
Nearly an old salt

I’d agree a fuse close to the battery

One could knock up a TVS style protector easily enough the LDP-01 series TVS diodes are ideal
Old 24-10-2022, 10:40   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Prétorien 35

JK
I'm interested to hear what marlec say about adding a protection device. I wonder if the fact that it's effectively 3 phase rather than an alternators DC output means a sterling device won't work.
(I had to Google a TVS protector, and wouldn't know where to start designing one although I imagine it would work).
We have our 1200 installed with no fuse at the moment. However like you we are upgrading our fuse protection.

I'm currently planning to put in a fuse to protect the cable.
I agree with Madehn: the fuse size should be much bigger than the max current the turbine could ever generate.
My feeling is if something happens to blow the fuse, If it wasn't there then the cables would likely be damaged and effectively disconnect the turbine anyway.

I may ask marlec what the consequences of a disconnection are so we can carry the relevant spares.

Dan
Dantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 13:12   #14
Nearly an old salt

A car alternator is also 3 phase.
Old 24-10-2022, 13:15   #15
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantp View Post
JK
I'm interested to hear what marlec say about adding a protection device. I wonder if the fact that it's effectively 3 phase rather than an alternators DC output means a sterling device won't work.
(I had to Google a TVS protector, and wouldn't know where to start designing one although I imagine it would work).
We have our 1200 installed with no fuse at the moment. However like you we are upgrading our fuse protection.

I'm currently planning to put in a fuse to protect the cable.
I agree with Madehn: the fuse size should be much bigger than the max current the turbine could ever generate.
My feeling is if something happens to blow the fuse, If it wasn't there then the cables would likely be damaged and effectively disconnect the turbine anyway.

I may ask marlec what the consequences of a disconnection are so we can carry the relevant spares.

Dan

No wire shoujd connect directly to a battery without a fuse near the battery connection point. The fuse being sized to protect the wire.

Tags
rot, rutland, wiring