Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48   #1

Boat: Buizen 48
Sanyo Bifacial Solar Panels

A while back, there was a thread that mentioned the above (see attached).

Has anyone investigated these or has installed these? What do you see as their pros and cons?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sanyo Bifacial Module.pdf (325.3 KB, 366 views)
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 16:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
A couple of things I noticed about these panels:

1. They are quite large
2. They are I think 48v nominal, so your controller options are more limited.
3. The benefits of the dual sides would be only beneficial if they were above some kind of reflective surface, such as hanging over the water. If you have a largearch or davits, they might provide some additional output. I would imagine that you would ahve to careful about blocking the panel's access to the sun from below, as well as from above.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 15:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
A couple of things I noticed about these panels:

1. They are quite large

Chris
i dunno if theres any real effective "small" cells commercially available, but having larger panels would be a draw for me
Old 09-07-2009, 16:41   #4

sanyo

i installed 3 190w sanyo bifacials on my boat... they are wonderful... i picked them up because i wanted to integrate them into the coverage over the cockpit... they look beutiful from the underside and there build quality is very nice... if the size works for you they are the best panels out there and they make the boat look better not the usual eye sore panels can be...

best of luck...
kimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 17:09   #5

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Sounds like a really neat and efficient setup!! How did you integrate them into the cover? Custom fabricated frame? Any pictures?
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 22:23   #6

I designed an arch to support 3 of them and am getting a custom bimini cover integrated into the panels (part panel and part canvas)… I will be away from my boat for a week or so… if still interested by then I can take a pic and post it… the canvas will be a month or so till complete, but the panels have been up and working well for about 4 months. with 3 of them there is more power then i can ever use, even with the water maker running for many hours every day...
kimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Yes, please post photos and as much details as you can - this sounds really cool!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimm View Post
I designed an arch to support 3 of them and am getting a custom bimini cover integrated into the panels (part panel and part canvas)… I will be away from my boat for a week or so… if still interested by then I can take a pic and post it… the canvas will be a month or so till complete, but the panels have been up and working well for about 4 months. with 3 of them there is more power then i can ever use, even with the water maker running for many hours every day...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the interesting recent (2009) Engineering thesis, by Raymond Dong:
“Optimizing Reflection and Orientation for Bifacial Photovoltaic Modules”
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/...ond_Thesis.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 17:16   #9

Thanks for that link Gord...that was a most interesting paper.
Aside from the Bifacial panels I think the most surprising point was the amount of loss in a panel due to even MINOR shading.

"The reduction in PV module power output is proportional to the area shaded for any one solar cell or any string of cells (Kyocera Solar, Inc., 2004). As illustrated in Figure 3, shading half of one cell or half of a string of cells reduces the power output by 50%."

This certainly argues against bimini mounts!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 20:18   #10
Marine Service Provider

This is so true for Mono or Polycrystalline panels. Some have diodes in-between the cells, which should help reduce this problem. I have seen so many boats with panels put up on arches, and multiple antennas surrounding the panels, ensuring that whatever the sun's direction, the panel will have partial shading. Shrug.

I just mounted our two 120w panels up on our arch. It might not be the prettiest, but there is no shading possible other than from the rig/sails. I have a donated Airx, but before I mount it, I plan on doing some testing on shading by temp mounting it and taking measurements throughout the day with and without the generator in place. I hope there is not much of a drop in output, but I think that will prove to be wishful thinking.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Thanks for that link Gord...that was a most interesting paper.
Aside from the Bifacial panels I think the most surprising point was the amount of loss in a panel due to even MINOR shading.

"The reduction in PV module power output is proportional to the area shaded for any one solar cell or any string of cells (Kyocera Solar, Inc., 2004). As illustrated in Figure 3, shading half of one cell or half of a string of cells reduces the power output by 50%."

This certainly argues against bimini mounts!
Old 10-07-2009, 22:46   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I have a donated Airx, but before I mount it, I plan on doing some testing on shading by temp mounting it
Chris
Hey Chris, If you mount the AirX on someone elses boat then we will come park next to you at an anchorage... otherwise.....
Gotta luv solar because its so quiet... just sits there doing its job.

The funniest thing about wind generators are that the owners can never hear them A couple times folks have said "we turn it off when we have guests". Then we jump on board and they leave it ON! Are they trying to get rid of us that quickly??? Haven't even started drinking their beer yet

We have had our 120 watt monocrystaline for 3 days now and havent used the engine yet Its just resting on the deck, partially shaded at times, waiting till be get it properly mounted. We get the second pannel next week... that one will get its own cabin till mounting.

2x120 watts and we will have more electricity than we know what to do with! YIPPEE! Stuff more junk in the fridge! Or maybe get a freezer!!!! <--- Damn, overshot my dreams

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote