Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:55   #1

Boat: Bristol 29
screw-in terminals ok with stranded wire?

I am looking at a Novino plug for my small electric trolling motor. The Novino plug has "set-screws" to secure the wire into the plug. Are these ok to use with marine stranded wire? I am using 8 ga wire which will almost fill the hole. I think the hole will allow 6 ga.

I intend to coat the end of the marine wire with dielectric grease and use blue lock-tite on the set screws. Are these good practices?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 4.42.55 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	294170  
Sun and Moon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:09   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: screw-in terminals ok with stranded wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
I am looking at a Novino plug for my small electric trolling motor. The Novino plug has "set-screws" to secure the wire into the plug. Are these ok to use with marine stranded wire? I am using 8 ga wire which will almost fill the hole. I think the hole will allow 6 ga.

I intend to coat the end of the marine wire with dielectric grease and use blue lock-tite on the set screws. Are these good practices?

Someone is going to recommend bootlace ferrules, but what you described should be fine. Damage is really only a problem with multiple removal cycles. If you do replace the plug, trim the wire each time (leave a few inches spare!).

Many of us would like to hear about your trolling motor experience.

Tags
crew