Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2023, 20:46   #1

Boat: Schionnings, Wilderness, 45
semi flexible solar panels from Ahonypower

hello to everybody, here some feedback:
Solar panels from Ahonypower / China
I purchased 4 semi rigid solar panels , Model eMarvel 155W. The first one failed within the 2 weeks. After long discussions with Sarah at Ahony ( sometime hard to get a response at all ) they were willing to replace it. Still I had to pay 220US$ plus 40US$ import duty for one panel!
The other 3 panels failed within the following 3 month. The replacement failed as well within 4 weeks. This one was lying on a flat surface not glued on.
altogether 1500US$ wasted.
The company does not live up to warranty.
Sarah from Ahonypower now admitted .. here is her own writing: ...we have other similar case,that's mainly because the panel make parallel,and at your area,the temperature is high,make the panel current is high too,then the panels are damage
In my case .. and other ones as stated by the company, these solar panles will fail .
Carl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 21:16   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: semi flexible solar panels from Ahonypower

I go out of my way to avoid products from that country. That said, I have Renogy panels. I'm sure they are made there also but at least a local company distributes them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 21:51   #3

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

I have to rework most of the $#** I buy from China… which I try to avoid. It’s likely that the failure only
occurred at one point. Fix that in a way that’s better and you’ll have a better product. That’s what I would do if it were my $1,500 anyway.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Carl, similar experience with Lensun all new super duper ETFE. Panel delaminated in a few months but it took 2 years before they agreed to replace the panel, thankfully only 30w for charging the engine start battery.

Sold the replacement when it arrived to a friend for a short term use with full disclosure.

If we ever go back to semi flexible, then I think we will be looking at Solara, Sun Power or Sun Ware high end panels.

Our first panel was Solara and bought second hand. We used it for another 12 years years out in all weathers before it finally gave up the ghost. These are the ones the ocean rowing teams use for crossing the Atlantic etc, but uber expensive.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:42   #5

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We use Renogy semi flexible 100 watt panels, Velcro attached to our Bimini top, we have had excellent success with them roasting away in the Bahamian sun, god knows where they are actually made. We in theory prefer more established brands that have been around for a while and have a good reputation, we are willing to pay a bit more for that, and actual customer support. I hope you have better success with your next choice in panels,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 09:00   #6

Boat: Voyage 480
Send a message via Skype™ to jerrypeters

Well ... Carl 1956, I had the exact same experience with Ahony. Eight panels, one DOA. They wouldn't replace so I ordered another. Another failed within 1 week. All eight dead within 3 months. Sara was useless and refused to help. Her language follows:

"I must admin our eMarvel series may get hot in tropical or sub tropical area.
especially when something cover partially and 1 panel damage,no replace or maintenance. Our engineer studied similar case,nearly all are in tropical area with latitude below 25degree."

My response: "So you sold me your product to use in an area that you knew would fail? That seems unethical. Also a fairly useless product – a solar panel that fails in the sun."

Stay far away.
jerrypeters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, power, solar, solar panels