Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 03:44   #76

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft
Re: Sense or Nonsense Hanging Zinc Anode Overboard?

Hum

I guess it is the system (anode + cathode) that gets more negative with regard to the reference cell as per net "the system" sheds off postive Zn++ ions at a faster rate than the cathode can shed electrons to form OH-
?

Jan
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:50   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Sense or nonsense hanging zinc anode overboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudurix View Post
Hi Sailorchic34,
I see you're in SF Bay I guess cold water even in summer however it just takes a 3mm wetsuit, a diving mask and fins to have a quick look underwater. The visual inspection is the best inspection and at a fraction of the cost of a haulout. Or find a gentleman on the dock willing to do it

Jan
Ah the broke chic can't even afford $20 for a diver, so a wet suit is out the window too. Plus I have enough positive buoyancy problems without a wetsuit.

Actually the prop and hull are fine. The delta water is warm enough to swim in in the summer. Alas,somebody can't hold her breath and attach a prop zinc at the same time either... Thus my fishy zincy thingy was born. No mucking about getting green bottom paint in the hair or dropping screws, etc, either.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:31   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

SC, while I won't to believe in the fishy zincy thingy myself, I wouldn't rely on it solely, props and shafts can add up quick.
PM me a size and shipping address and I'll send you a shaft zinc, don't worry somebody will help me out when I need it too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 13:40   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
SC, while I won't to believe in the fishy zincy thingy myself, I wouldn't rely on it solely, props and shafts can add up quick.
PM me a size and shipping address and I'll send you a shaft zinc, don't worry somebody will help me out when I need it too.
What a great guy..

Oh I have two or three prop zincs still in the kitty. So the zinc is not the problem. The boat came with about 10 spare zincs and I've yet to buy one. Also, my prop is only about 1/2" from the hull, so shaft zinc's will not fit on Islander 34's.

I'm limited to a prop zinc only and that only just fits. It's a tight aperture prop. Which is what makes it so much fun to try to put on a zinc while holding ones breath and

I actually have high confidence that the fishy zincy thingy works fine. It's practically the same arrangement shown in the fluke writeup eariler, except rather then a zinc attached to the hull, its on a wire. The principle is the same though.

A prop/ sfaft zinc anode is just one of three ways to protect from galvanic corrosion. There is also the remote zinc, as indicated by fluke and others and as I'm doing now and also impressed current which larger boats/ships use quite a bit.

I may play around with impressed current at some time as the DC source is easy to come by.
Old 19-08-2014, 16:33   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Impressed current, that's the systems you can buy to protect the boat? Heard a lot about them many years ago, but now that I think about it, I haven't heard anything lately.
Do they work?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 16:45   #81
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Impressed current, that's the systems you can buy to protect the boat? Heard a lot about them many years ago, but now that I think about it, I haven't heard anything lately.
Do they work?
Tends to be only cost effective for large steel boats and impractical on smaller boats with unsure power supplies. It in essence duplicates the activity of a zinc galvanic cell.

dave
Old 19-08-2014, 17:38   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Tends to be only cost effective for large steel boats and impractical on smaller boats with unsure power supplies. It in essence duplicates the activity of a zinc galvanic cell.

dave
Quite correct, With a typical zinc to bronze/SS your getting about 250-300 mV between the zinc and bronze due to their natural galvanic values.

With impressed current you still have an anode, but it's not galvanic negitive to the other metals its protecting. A positive impressed current at +12V's DC is run through the anode(s) based on the amount of metal to protect.

Based on one design manual I read, you want ~50 mA per square meter of surface area being protected. For a typical non metal sailboat with solar the load works out to ~ 3 watts. The reason its not made for small boats is its too simple and not enough money in it.

OK, it's a bit more complicated then that from a calculation standpoint, but for a small sailboat <50 feet, there's just not much metal exposed.

Basically you run a wire from the + side of the battery to a metal anode in contact with the water adjacent to the metal being protected. Could be SS, cast iron, really anything. Seawater has a 40 ohm resistance according to the manual I read here Designing Cathodic Protection Systems for Marine Structures and Vehicles - Google Books

As the minus side is most likely already connected to the engine and prop shaft, that's about all there is to it. You could get fancy and add a shunt and DC mA meter and of course a fuse in the circuit would be required . But for the basic sailboat that's it.

3 watts with solar panels is not a problem. I will be playing with this a bit I'm thinking.

Tags
overboard