Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14   #61

Re: Separate Inverter, Charger, or Combo ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
Just my two cents worth on the question - I am running a Xantrex 2500w inverter/charger. It has a "pass through" function that detects the presence of shore or genny power and bypasses the inverter function, so no need for a switch or two breaker panels. The only problems I have with it are that, when away from shore, if I don't shut of the charger it will overload my Honda 2000i genny when I plug it into the boat's AC system. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't know what you have for a remote, but maybe:

Power Share Feature for Link 2000 Controlling Honda Generators
Very helpful hint to control generators and 20A shorepower
Power Share feature on Link 2000
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:49   #62

I think I'd look at a pair of dual-redundant combined units. Simple to install and use, inexpensive, redundant, space-saving, powerful (features), powerful (KW)..
Unregistered-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:27   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWrightNZ View Post
I think I'd look at a pair of dual-redundant combined units. Simple to install and use, inexpensive, redundant, space-saving, powerful (features), powerful (KW)..
Inexpensive? Simple to install?

I think this is exactly the right way to do this, but I doubt many people would think dual charger/inverters are inexpensive or easy to install. The somewhat misleadingly labeled "3000v/a" ones (realistic power -- a bit over 2kW) are a couple of grand each, so a pair would cost around $4000 and give you around 4kW of realistic power.

But worth it for demanding users (electricity intensive boat, remote cruising area). My next boat will be set up like this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 14:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
[....] a pair would cost around $4000 and give you around 4kW of realistic power.

But worth it for demanding users (electricity intensive boat, remote cruising area). My next boat will be set up like this.
Yup, you can do anything you want with that, as long as you have the charging and the AH to back it up.

Simple to install, as in pretty much you follow their wiring diagram, install the parallel cable and it just works, or doesn't. No flames, no sparks, just an error message.

Inexpensive, as in you save up and buy it ONCE and you are done. All good things are like this.

Simple to use, as in you connect anything you like (generator, shore power) and it does all the conversions, math, isolation, and protection for you.

The only thinking you have to do, is wait until the sun has been on the panels for an hour before you turn the automatic clothes washer on.

Gone are the days of complicated and dangerous electrical systems on boats.

S
Unregistered-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:16   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapop View Post
Buying a new used boat, and it only seems to have a trickle charger on the house batteries. I am thinking about upgrading to a more serious charger and also an inverter for the usual reasons. Question is, would it be better to have two separate units or one good combined unit.

Certainly cost is an issue, but more concerned about single-point-of-failure, and better overall management of the power system.
This totally depends on your plans. Are you a dock queen or will you cruise extensively? What are your AC and DC needs?

We are live aboard. We use very little AC but have a 3.5 KW full sine wave inverter charger. It’s necessary to have a big charger to minimize any generator run time. We have 660watts of solar and no wind charging. We occasionally need a big AC source for running tools or some galley appliances. We also have a very high efficiency 300 watt full sine inverter to charge computers and other such stuff. The large inverter chargers have many programs that can do a superior job of charging. Ours is also totally user programmable. This will be mandatory if you decide to go lithium power.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:18   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapop View Post
Buying a new used boat, and it only seems to have a trickle charger on the house batteries. I am thinking about upgrading to a more serious charger and also an inverter for the usual reasons. Question is, would it be better to have two separate units or one good combined unit.

Certainly cost is an issue, but more concerned about single-point-of-failure, and better overall management of the power system.

IMO -- the heart of any boat lies in 2 areas --- it's drive system/s and it's electrical systems --

one should never short change on either.

It's been my experience that if one outlays a painfully large amount for a piece of tech. - like going top shelf for a charger or battery bank or whatever -- the pain of paying the bill is actually quickly forgotten and when at sea that pain is replaced with a lovely warm feeling of security --

it's very difficult to put a price on that feeling

So many times I have looked back after months of having a beautiful piece of tech running flawlessly and thought to myself ------ 'wow, why was I even giving it a second of thought to go for a cheaper option?'
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 21:27   #67
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
1/2 HP Invertor Air cond. Sounds small. They obviously make them that small. If you dont mind me asking, what flavour is it?
Just checked onboard
0.6hp
https://www.exatech.com.ph/index.php.../wam-55-i.html
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:28   #68

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post

If y'all get an inverter/charger, you will need to subdivide your a.c. panel such that only low wattage loads are served by the inverter. That is, you wouldn't want to run your water heater or air conditioning on the inverter. That would flatten your batteries in no time. Generally, the panel is configured such that only the vessels outlets are connected to inverter power and perhaps dedicated circuits for appliances like microwaves and coffee machines.
Depends on the install.

We have been running multiple 240v fridge freezers and a 240v HWS off of ours on battery and solar for near 4 years continuous.
Genset only ever gets used on overly cloudy or rainy days or if I need to do some welding.

Battery bank has NEVER been below 75%, 85% is the usual number.

Quote:
If you get an inverter/charger, get the remote control for it so you can see what it's doing and turn the inverter function off if you don't need it (to save power).
Have never turned the inverter off and never would, I enjoy fresh food and cold beer to much.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 14:32   #69

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

As for the redundancy, which is how I found this thread, how would having a brand new same as the other Victron inverter/charger sitting in its box go?

Thinking if the smoke escaped from one it would probably be easy enough to turn off all breakers, disconnect old and reconnect new, same same, turn all breakers back on and away we go?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:31   #70

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I have a separate inverter and battery charger.
My reason? I dont want a fault in one side of the unit to bring down the other feature.
SHRUG
Old 19-11-2019, 08:19   #71

Boat: Mason 44

I like my separate inverter and charger set up. All manual. I know 3 boats who suffered faulty inverter/charger unit - , 1 victron multiplus, 2 heart interface (which is no longer in production).

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter