Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 05:45   #1

Boat: sailing Shipman 28 / OE36 project
shore charging

Hi,

I am no electrical genius but I would like to add shore powered charger to my batteries. And keep things as simple as possible. This is to keep battery charged while overnight in marina and refrigerator and lights are turned on.

Current system consists of two 12V 70Ah lead / acid batteries, house and start.
House battery is charged via 40W solar panel.
Start battery is charged by engine alternator.
Batteries are connected to each other via VSR that detects voltage on start battery only. When the engine is running and start battery gets charging the VSR closes and house battery is charged, too.

Can I just add a big enough smart charger and connect it to start battery? Should I connect it to Start Battery or House battery?
House battery is what needs the shore charge but there is a solar panel already connected to it (via controller of course)

mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:48   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: shore charging

Connect the charger to the house battery side (through a buss bar, of course).

There is no problem having a solar charger and a house charger connected to the same battery.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging