Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 07:40   #1

Shore Power Adapter

I have read the thread on 30 amp to 15 amp and it was really informative and am trying to avoid asking the same question but your input is quite valuable to me so here goes.

I have a Hunter H26 trailerable sailboat which includes a shorepower connection. Since I bought the boat secondhand I am not certain if it is factory, wired correctly, etc... How can I tell?

Also I was about to purchase an adaptor from the marina 30 amp to a extension cord and they want $40 to $60 for the adaptor. The adaptor does not include a GFCI or anything. It is just an adaptor. I can buy one at the hardware store which is rated for outdoor use for $5. What am I missing?
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 08:20   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Shore power adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance835 View Post
I have read the thread on 30 amp to 15 amp and it was really informative and am trying to avoid asking the same question but your input is quite valuable to me so here goes.

I have a Hunter H26 trailerable sailboat which includes a shorepower connection. Since I bought the boat secondhand I am not certain if it is factory, wired correctly, etc... How can I tell?

If it's an all yellow cord with casted ends and a lock ring on the female end it's most likely a marine cord and is wired to specs. If it has ends that can be taken off, I wouldn't trust it but test it first.

Also I was about to purchase an adaptor from the marina 30 amp to a extension cord and they want $40 to $60 for the adaptor. The adaptor does not include a GFCI or anything. It is just an adaptor. I can buy one at the hardware store which is rated for outdoor use for $5. What am I missing?
Again the casted ends which makes them water proof and tamper proof.

The site should explain everything.>>> http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/pdfs/H5263.pdf
Old 28-03-2012, 08:59   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Going from a 15 amp supply to a 30 amp receptacle on a boat is not a problem. Going from a 30 amp supply at the dock to a 15 amp cord set to your boat is a potential hazard, unless you have protection for that cable in the cable or at the boat. Get a qualified marine electrician to check out your boat wiring.
Old 28-03-2012, 09:38   #4

Boat: Irwin 40

You may have to get a pro to look and see if it is factory or not, but some clues would be the AC panel. Does it match the DC panel? Also you could look and see if AC power was an option on your year/model. See if the wires look original to the boat are they run like the DC wires do they match the brand type wire? All these clues should answer your basic question. Get a 3 light outlet tester for the hardware store they are cheap, use this to test the outlets that will let you know if the wiring is basically right and safe. As for the Adapter Not sure about a cheap one from the hardware store as I do not know exactly what you are looking at. Yes the marine ones are expense but you would know it is right and safe, personally I could not buy the parts to make an adapter for 5 bucks so I am suspicious of what you are looking at for that price. You could pick one up on ebay for a few bucks but like the other poster said make sure it is the molded type and not some home made thing if you do not fully understand how to check it. AC power can kill you so it is always better to be safe first. And as a final note your AC panel should have at the very least a working power indicator light to let you know when the cord is plugged in and live and it should have polarity indicator lights. If it does not have these it is likely not factory and should be upgraded.
Good luck
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:50   #5

Plug a tester in the boat outlets and make sure it reads correctly. Commonly available at hardware stores cheap. This would be the minimum you should do if the installation looks to be factory original. Yes marine adaptors are very expensive. While they are nice, it does beg the question ....why so expensive?. If you just want to plug in while working on the boat and dont intend to leave it, I dont see a problem with a proper grounded hardware adaptor....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power