Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 20:01   #16

Re: Shore power & temp control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kMike View Post
Thank you fellows!

My point was the battery temperature sensor and the temperature knee point on 25 degrees. Doesn't that mean that I never get the full charging voltage (and because of that full amperes) when in tropics? My primary charging is solar, and secondary main engine, but it would be nice to get that 20-25 amps when running genset too. Of course without boiling batteries.. ;-)
No, not quite right.

What you are not understanding is that at elevated temperatures a battery IS fully charged at lower voltages, it is a property of the chemistry going on inside. It in not correct to think that your batteries are not being fully charged because the voltage is lower at higher temperatures.

There is nothing magic about 25C, it is just one point on a line. "Full charging voltage" is HIGHER below 25C, and lower above it. But that is true of every temperature!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 22:59   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm a bit baffled, why would one measure battery temperature by having the sensor clamped to the cables?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:15   #18

Quote:
Hi all!
We are now sailing in Caribbean. When running genset and charging batteries w. Shorepower charger, we don't get more than 14 A to the batteries.
I just found on manual that our Ctec 300 (max 25 amp) charger has battery temperatude control cutting current down when over 25 deg C!
Any suggestions, fellows..? Should I disable (cut off..?) the temperature sensor.. or put it to the ice box..??? :-)
Yes

25 amp is too small, that’s a charger for s small daysailer

You must double your capacity
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:24   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 42

Ok... thank you again...but I'm possibly still missing something: When batteries are (by battery monitor and voltage), quite low .. around 50% charge.. they take full 45 amps with engine alternator. But not full 25A with ctec charger. Only half of that... I understand that the alternator is "stupid" and cuts charging always in the same V level.... but still, is Ctec too clever? For these climates (all th rime >27C ), I mean.. Although this climate suits for me better, ;-)
4kMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:27   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 42

Hi! Sensor is fixed on the top of one battery, of course. And as I wrote earlier, solar and main engine are the primary chargers.... we have not been connected to shore for months, but running genset now and then. So Ctec is OK, but I would like it to do what is promised on specs.
4kMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:50   #21

Quote:
Hi! Sensor is fixed on the top of one battery, of course. And as I wrote earlier, solar and main engine are the primary chargers.... we have not been connected to shore for months, but running genset now and then. So Ctec is OK, but I would like it to do what is promised on specs.
You might contact ctec and ask if you can modify the charge profile
Some chargers are user programable
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 00:41   #22

Quote:
Ok... thank you again...but I'm possibly still missing something: When batteries are (by battery monitor and voltage), quite low .. around 50% charge.. they take full 45 amps with engine alternator. But not full 25A with ctec charger. Only half of that... I understand that the alternator is "stupid" and cuts charging always in the same V level.... but still, is Ctec too clever? For these climates (all th rime >27C ), I mean.. Although this climate suits for me better, ;-)

Turn all your loads off. Turn the battery switch off. Now check how many Amps are going in. Or better yet clamp the charger wire with a meter.

I bet the charger is putting out 25a. But the boat is consuming half of it. Leaving only half to charge the battery.

The alt is probably putting out ~ 60a. And 45 is going to batt. Same thing.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:25   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
... A battery charger's temperature compensation should work not by altering the charge current, but rather the voltage, typically lowering it by about 24 millivolts per degree C above 25C, although the exact number should be specified by the battery manufacturer...
Indeed.
The ideal storage and charging temperature range for a lead acid battery is 70˚-77˚F.
By adjusting lead-acid battery charge voltages for temperature, the battery can be properly charged in warm and cold weather.
Different battery manufactures recommend different temperature compensation values.
Rolls & Concorde recommend -4mV/°C/cell (24mV per °C for 12V batt)
Deka & Crown battery recommend -3mV/°C/cell (18 mV per °C for 12V batt)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power