Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 20:35   #16

Re: Shore Power Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckay123 View Post
Thanks for this. You're right, I really do need to check out my power equipment before asking for advice here. I know I have a Magnum charger/inverter that is supposed to be pretty good. There is some kind of device in the rear lazarette where the shore power comes in that has a circuit breaker on it, which I don't really understand. So you're suggesting that the boat charger may basically be like a laptop charger, that accepts multiple voltages/hertz, and I just need to figure out a way to plug it on. All the AC plugs on the boat I believe are attached to the Magnum, so they would be OK also, right? The TV in fact is a 12 volt RV model so that would be covered also.
the magnum will not be multi voltage input. I don't think any inverter / charger will be. some battery chargers (only) are.

one way is to have a multi voltage charger. charge the batteries. and the magnum would invert and provide 120v ac to your outlets. always the same no matter where the boat is. you would need to make sure the wrong voltage does not get to the magnum. (though it would likly just shut itself off and just keep inverting)

you just need to make sure the battery charger can keep up with all the AC demands. you'd probably want something in the 100a charger range. (around what the magnum is, but another charger)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power