Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 18:28   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Shore power cord recommendation

Without getting into all the background info, let me just cut to the chase. I have 2 electrical heaters that I need to heat my boat this winter. I cannot plug them into the boat due to electrical issues. I will need to run them off the pedastal, and I don't know exactly how to do that....

I'm assuming that I will need to split 30 amp into a 15 amp... But then I will need to plug 2 shore cords into that spitter. The very end of those cords need to have a standard 3 prong plug so that I can plug the heaters directly into it, right?

Will that configuration be considered on par with plugging directly into an outlet so it is safe? And if so.... Do they make such a cord?

Can someone recommend the right cords and configurations?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:01   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Shore power cord recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Without getting into all the background info, let me just cut to the chase. I have 2 electrical heaters that I need to heat my boat this winter. I cannot plug them into the boat due to electrical issues. I will need to run them off the pedastal, and I don't know exactly how to do that....

I'm assuming that I will need to split 30 amp into a 15 amp... But then I will need to plug 2 shore cords into that spitter. The very end of those cords need to have a standard 3 prong plug so that I can plug the heaters directly into it, right?

Will that configuration be considered on par with plugging directly into an outlet so it is safe? And if so.... Do they make such a cord?

what wattage are your heaters? most little heaters are 1500 watts each, or more. if you plug in two into a 30 amp plug your going to be consuming 25 amps of your available power. that doesnt give you much leftover for running everything else without tripping the breaker.

that also doesnt seem like a good idea. usually the interior plugs have their own circuit breakers as a way to protect the wiring. if you bypass them with an extension cord that seems like a risk of an AC short or potentially a fire. im no expert though and maybe there is a safe way to do this but i havn't seen a power cord with an internal breaker yet although maybe they exist?

hopefully someone with more experience than me can verify this.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:32   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Something like this or this?

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:52   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:

There are adapters as Dsanduril posted. Give consideration on how you will place the cables as they enter the cabin.
I have seen big boats using 2 different pedestals, 30amps each, the marina was mostly vacant anyway.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 21:09   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Option B would be a "30A spider box." These are what contractors use to break out a 30A circuit into a bunch of 15A circuits, usually with their own circuit breakers. Only downside, if you have to buy one could be cheaper to fix the boat electrics.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Something like this or this?

Right idea.... But my concern with that is that I would have to use regular extension cords and you aren't supposed to use regular extension cords with heaters because they get so hot..
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Option B would be a "30A spider box." These are what contractors use to break out a 30A circuit into a bunch of 15A circuits, usually with their own circuit breakers. Only downside, if you have to buy one could be cheaper to fix the boat electrics.
Working on that... We think we may have been either struck by lightening, or some sort of power surge... Dozens of issues.. knocking off one at a time, but it's a time consuming task and probably won't be done for weeks and weeks....
Old 08-12-2020, 04:08   #8

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Consider GFCI protection as well as branch circuit protection. Perhaps upgrading your boat electric system using a local genuine marine electrician, at least for consultation. I know it's cold now but boat fires due to heater overload is something that cost lives and many boats in Bellingham one winter I spent there
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:13   #9

We have these in the uk

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Maypol...ket-Double/9HI

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Maypol...15m-Cable/2064

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-...itter-Plug/9GE

Presumably the equivalent is available where you are?
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:42   #10

What I don't understand is you can't use an extension cord (even a heavy duty one) with a space heater, and yet, the space heaters come with this cords that are lighter weight than the heavy duty cords...
Old 08-12-2020, 04:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Run your regular 30 amp shore power cord to the boat from the dock, then use the splitter on that end and connect the heaters to directly to the plugs on the splitter. If this is a proper, heavy gauge splitter it should be fine BUT depending on the age and quality of the wiring on your dock, many 30 amp shore power connections on marina docks will overheat if you draw a constant current close to the max rating.

New marina or well maintained wiring you should be ok however I would keep a close watch on the whole setup, dock and boat side, to be safe.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:46   #12

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Right idea.... But my concern with that is that I would have to use regular extension cords and you aren't supposed to use regular extension cords with heaters because they get so hot..
The key to this will be to use the correct wire gauge. There are a lot of "heavy duty" cords that are 14 gauge or higher, hardly heavy duty. Look for a high quality cord that is a least 12 gauge, 10 would be better yet. The heat can also arise from the poor connection with these plug types getting loose, you can tightly wrap the connected plug with some duct tape to keep it semi-water tight and help keep them together.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:54   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

If you use a splitter, be sure that it has a 15A circuit breaker on each 15A branch. The 30A breaker at the pedestal will not protect the heater power cord.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:09   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

2 1500 watt heaters will probably blow the 30 amp breaker. run them on the 1000 or 1200 watt setting. you will need 15 amp cables from pedestal which would not be protected by 15 amp breakers. good luck.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Unfortunately, the Marinco 30A /w with 30A GFCI to (3) 15A connector adapter doesn’t have (3) 15A protection. Each 15A receptacle is only protected by the same 30A GFCI.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, shore power