Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2022, 08:41   #46

Re: Should my batteries and solar have a load ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
The amp hours police guy strikes again. Really, do you spend all of your time scrolling CF for people who neglect to add "hours" when they refer to amps in a battery?

Get a life, man. People understand what the OP was saying.
No. Units are important. Noobs get very confused when the wrong ones are used, and often are indeed quoting power specs when they think they are energy specs.

The difference is important.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 08:46   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
I for instance have 120A of Victron lithium battery power for a capacity of 90Ah.
Please link to the data sheet for that specific unit. Either you are completely wrong, or that was a very early model, the modern ones have much higher limits.

Also, these Victron units are "drop-ins", their power specs are limited by their internal protection / control circuitry.

Nothing to do with LFP as a chemistry, the internal cells themselves.

Yes, keeping discharge C-rates under 1-2C is **advisable** for optimal longevity.

But LFP is perfectly fine for cranking, even a small 50Ah bank can turn over a huge diesel no problem.

So long as the protection circuitry i.e. BMS is bypassed, or designed to handle the peak amps drawn.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 11:29   #48

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

See, I figure if someone can't understand what I'm talking about in my original post, they don't know enough to give me an answer.

The ones that like to give lessons in pronounciation and grammer while pedantically coreecting every little thing are fun to bait, especially with the poor quality jokes we've been getting in the Joke Thread.

Seriously, as I mentioned 2 pages back, I got the answer I was looking for. But hey, if y'all are having fun please carry on without me.

Old 19-06-2022, 13:45   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
See, I figure if someone can't understand what I'm talking about in my original post, they don't know enough to give me an answer.
You did say this:
Quote:
I have 230 amps of battery power using 2 Duracell flooded golf cart batteries
People who know a lot about the subject were confused, quite rightly so, and asked you to clarify. And this happens a lot here, with people incorrectly using the terminology. It isn't hard to learn the correct terminology and those of us who are sticklers try our best to help. So do yourself and everyone else a favor and learn the proper use of the terms if in the future you wish to ask for help on the subject.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 13:47   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

The guys with their basic battery, electrical, and solar theory just want to show off the bit of knowledge they have gained.

No big thing.

19 and 20 year old tech's just out of school do the same thing if someone in their group says one thing wrong.......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 13:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
You did say this:

I have 230 amps of battery power using 2 Duracell flooded golf cart batteries

People who know a lot about the subject were confused, quite rightly so, and asked you to clarify. And this happens a lot here, with people incorrectly using the terminology. It isn't hard to learn the correct terminology and those of us who are sticklers try our best to help. So do yourself and everyone else a favor and learn the proper use of the terms if in the future you wish to ask for help on the subject.
Please.

If they knew a lot about the subject they would have known he meant 230 ah 6 volt Golf Cart Batteries which would be in series for his 12 volt system.

Most of us knew exactly what he meant.

The only thing the OP needed to know was proper Float Voltage. (not to be confused with floating voltage in a TTL circuit or a floating circuit/system entire like I have on my boat)
Old 19-06-2022, 14:02   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

The ones that like to give lessons in pronounciation and grammer while pedantically coreecting every little thing are fun to bait, especially with the poor quality jokes we've been getting in the Joke Thread.

Seriously, as I mentioned 2 pages back, I got the answer I was looking for. But hey, if y'all are having fun please carry on without me.

Of course you got your answer , ie no load is needed. The issue is certain others piled in with misleading units and suggestions
Old 19-06-2022, 14:17   #53

Face it, it's just what old men do that know a little about a certain subject or used to do a
job relating to it in the past.

This type thing has been going on way before the internet.

We have engineers and techs on CF that are supposedly "cruising" that just wait for someone to say one thing wrong about their old world.

The rest are tech/engineer wannabe's

Batteries, electrical, electronic, solar, etc....
Old 19-06-2022, 14:38   #54
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Face it, it's just what old men do that know a little about a certain subject or used to do a
job relating to it in the past.

This type thing has been going on way before the internet.

We have engineers and techs on CF that are supposedly "cruising" that just wait for someone to say one thing wrong about their old world.

Batteries, electrical, electronic, solar, etc....
And be thankful there is that sort of expertise here, because the nonsense that would pass for answers would be woeful otherwise
Old 19-06-2022, 14:47   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
And be thankful there is that sort of expertise here, because the nonsense that would pass for answers would be woeful otherwise
Sadly though much of the time the poster knows what he is talking about but may use one wrong term that some newbie just learned and he wants to make a big deal about it.

This is what occurred above.

Anyone with a clue about 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries and solar would have known exactly what the OP meant.

Most tech's know that engineers are the worst at design. Clueless in fact!

They design things that they must believe will never fail otherwise they'd make them more accessible
Old 19-06-2022, 14:49   #56
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Sadly though much of the time the poster knows what he is talking about but may use one wrong term that some newbie just learned and he wants to make a big deal about it.

This is what occurred above.

Anyone with a clue about 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries would known exactly what the OP meant.

The Floating Voltage I most recognized just a few year back was 2 volts but know as I have research for my Golf Cart Batteries the Float Voltage is 13.2 volts
He got his answer by the third post.
Old 19-06-2022, 15:06   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
He got his answer by the third post.
Yep but then he threw in later that his "controller" held the voltage at 14.6 volts which isn't too good.

Best thing for the OP to do for his "new" boat is get a Victron Solar Controller to play with.

I spent the weekend installing mine.

Laptop display is hard wired but it's a Victron Bluetooth so phone has same display.

Btw, I have 115 watts of solar connected only. The 65 watt panel is about 9 years old.

This is charging my 220 ah Golf Cart Batteries...........

I have two of them (6 volt) hooked "together" so I can have 12 volts

Lastly though if you only know battery and solar theory in this world we live in today you are lost because you have to know computers, smart phones, networks, and cyber else your system could fail and you'd be clueless as to how to fix it when it could simply be a setting or lost IP or MAC address. (or a virus)

This is why during this transition that has lasted like 15 years plus I have to hire kids that know computers, networks, and cyber and old school guys that have the electrical/electronics/hydraulic/mech knowledge.

The young techs can be at a standstill if we lose input power at the power distribution units or the UPS fails. (don't even mention 3 phase power to them or 60 HZ / 400 Hz)

Some don't know about going to bypass with the UPS but can run circles around all old school techs with computers, routers, modems, smart phones, internet settings, plus Windows and Linux OS's

I have guys born in the mid 90's which is hard for me to completely get! These guys did computer stuff in school....grade school etc

We had Windows 95 then !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	259700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210 (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	259701  

Old 19-06-2022, 15:37   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Yep but then he threw in later that his "controller" held the voltage at 14.6 volts which isn't too good.

Best thing for the OP to do for his "new" boat is get a Victron Solar Controller to play with.

I spent the weekend installing mine.

Laptop display is hard wired but it's a Victron Bluetooth so phone has same display.

Btw, I have 115 watts of solar connected only. The 65 watt panel is about 9 years old.

This is charging my 220 ah Golf Cart Batteries...........

I have two of them (6 volt) hooked "together" so I can have 12 volts

Lastly though if you only know battery and solar theory in this world we live in today you are lost because you have to know computers, smart phones, networks, and cyber else your system could fail and you'd be clueless as to how to fix it when it could simply be a setting or lost IP or MAC address. (or a virus)

This is why during this transition that has lasted like 15 years plus I have to hire kids that know computers, networks, and cyber and old school guys that have the electrical/electronics/hydraulic/mech knowledge.

The young techs can be at a standstill if we lose input power at the power distribution units or the UPS fails. (don't even mention 3 phase power to them or 60 HZ / 400 Hz)

Some don't know about going to bypass with the UPS but can run circles around all old school techs with computers, routers, modems, smart phones, internet setting, plus Windows and Linux OS's

I have guys born in the mid 90's which is hard for me to completely get! These guy did computer stuff in school....grade school etc

We had Windows 95 then !

I’m not sure about your point , it sounds like you need a bigger circle of experts
I’m in my sixities , I can code in most modern languages , drive modern pcs , setup routers smart phones etc. As well as design hardware , so can all my college buddies

They’d run rings around young guys , it’s a myth young people know anymore about this stuff , some do, many are clueless. Contrary to popular opinion kids arnt better at “ programming your video “. When the IT systems fail, my kids just hand the stuff to me. !

Im involved in microprocessors since the damm things were invented. Yiu want a doctor that’s operated on 1000 patients , or some young guy that read a book and has done 1
Old 19-06-2022, 15:44   #59
CLOD

Boat: none

the new joke thread
Old 19-06-2022, 15:57   #60

Boat: 41' yawl
Should my batteries and solar have a load ?

Quote:

Try talking about racecars with someone who can't stop mixing up 'speed' and 'distance'.

That is *almost exactly* what goes on with folks mistaking amps for amp hours. Best of luck.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, loa, solar