Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 16:45   #76
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Should my batteries and solar have a load ?

I am pretty sure that the OP has gotten his answer (I am 100% positive) and you guys are talking to yourself and coming back around to argue with yourself.
Old 21-06-2022, 18:03   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Again with the incorrect information. In this case, two major errors of fact.

1. "electrical stuff is powered by the batteries" - it's a misconception that energy passes "through" a battery bank when you have a power source and a load connected to it.Both power source and load are connected to the same pair of +ve and -ve battery terminals. In effect there is a direct connection between the two.

If the power source is providing sufficient power to supply the load there is no current flow out of the batteries. If the load is greater than the input then the batteries will supply the additional power that the laods need.

If the input is greater than the load, then the excess power will go into the batteries to charge then if they need it.

2.It has nothing to do with the "load function" and you misunderstand what a "load" port does.
Your solar controller monitors your battery voltage. Any loads connected to the Load connectors will be disconnected if the battery voltage drops too low.Nothing to do with the power input levels.

It’s not what you don’t know that kills you, it’s what you know for sure that ain’t true. - Mark Twain
Stu
It must be nice to be perfect, perhaps you should just get a hobby and quit worrying about everybody else
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 18:34   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Stu
It must be nice to be perfect, perhaps you should just get a hobby and quit worrying about everybody else
That is the sort of attitude that perpetuates incorrect and often dangerous information.
I will continue to correct false information when I see it, especially when dealing with electricity.,

Are you happy to see dangerous information left uncorrected for inexperienced members to believe and follow?

It’s not what you don’t know that kills you, it’s what you know for sure that ain’t true
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 07:28   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Are you happy to see dangerous information left uncorrected for inexperienced members to believe and follow?
In special cases I do the same.
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 08:58   #80

Boat: Bristol 27

I certainly hope no one accepts the word of a poster to an online forum without verifying that information with a trusted source(s).

Speaking of dangerous. That would not only be dangerous but reckless to accept such information........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 10:27   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I certainly hope no one accepts the word of a poster to an online forum without verifying that information with a trusted source(s).

Speaking of dangerous. That would not only be dangerous but reckless to accept such information........

That's true. Coincidentally, though, it soon becomes apparent to any even casual reader of any online forum, just who the "trustworthy" contributors are. Really doesn't take too long.

I've found that some of the most blatant "giveaways" about folks who are truly blowing smoke are indicated by lapses in spelling and grammar, too.

The "good guys" use complete and understandable sentence structure and punctuation.

They also provide links to those "trusted sources" you mention.

I believe it is important to use the correct terminology, especially when discussing technical issues.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 10:42   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That's true. Coincidentally, though, it soon becomes apparent to any even casual reader of any online forum, just who the "trustworthy" contributors are. Really doesn't take too long.

I've found that some of the most blatant "giveaways" about folks who are truly blowing smoke are indicated by lapses in spelling and grammar, too.

The "good guys" use complete and understandable sentence structure and punctuation.

They also provide links to those "trusted sources" you mention.

I believe it is important to use the correct terminology, especially when discussing technical issues.
The problem with that is that most “real” techs and engineers don’t write so well. I see all their documentation and it’s pretty bad. Engineers as well….. but they are doing a job and are not writing to impress….

Others use slang terms and I have to decipher for the laymen government folks to understand…..
Old 22-06-2022, 11:29   #83

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You might consider a zener diode.
They were used on motorcycles for years to resist over charging. They mount in reverse. You should be loosing 1% a day no biggie. I have two fridges both running very low and full of water bottles. Empty fridge uses more juice. Those beasts and the GB screens suck up the most power sailing.
To the point you only get so many charge cycles. Many boats plugged in can have unknown draws. The kids left a TV on or the bilge pump comes on every 20 minutes.
So they wonder why their batteries age so quick. My system can sustain us on the hook without the generator for days. The air turns on the generator automatically and just about consumes the capacity. I’ve had 4 types of batteries. The Gels were okay but didn’t like 14volts coming from alternators. The coils were pure garbage and I’ve taken my last lead acid battery to the dump.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:35   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
You might consider a zener diode.
They were used on motorcycles for years to resist over charging. They mount in reverse. You should be loosing 1% a day no biggie. I have two fridges both running very low and full of water bottles. Empty fridge uses more juice. Those beasts and the GB screens suck up the most power sailing.
To the point you only get so many charge cycles. Many boats plugged in can have unknown draws. The kids left a TV on or the bilge pump comes on every 20 minutes.
So they wonder why their batteries age so quick. My system can sustain us on the hook without the generator for days. The air turns on the generator automatically and just about consumes the capacity. I’ve had 4 types of batteries. The Gels were okay but didn’t like 14volts coming from alternators. The coils were pure garbage and I’ve taken my last lead acid battery to the dump.
He'd need to make a zener voltage regulating circuit not just add a zener diode.

But a solar controller would be much better especially a Victron with VRM remote capabilities that could be monitored from any computer attached to the internet
Old 22-06-2022, 11:40   #85

Great read.
BAD SPELLERS UNTIE !
Old 22-06-2022, 11:50   #86

Sure put it in backwards and add resistors to suit. Pretty easy to lay one out on a bread board whole new trick to seal them up. There are Zeners in a package ready to go.
Or you can assume a parts list on social media.
If this is a competition let me in on it. Not fair.
Old 24-06-2022, 13:06   #87

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I keep my 52 ft Trawler in Mexico on the hard in the summer. It has 14 agm batteries. I have them connected to one 100 watt solar panel with a mppt controller set to agm. I run one small flourescent bulb in the galley to keep a trickle of electricity running through the system.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 13:42   #88

Similar set up- fridge, bilge & fan are plenty
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2022, 00:10   #89
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The problem with that is that most “real” techs and engineers don’t write so well. I see all their documentation and it’s pretty bad. Engineers as well….. but they are doing a job and are not writing to impress….

Others use slang terms and I have to decipher for the laymen government folks to understand…..

Indeed. For engineers Those with perfect grammar and spelling probably did a primary degree in Classical Greek , sure they know everything about electrics or electronics

Or there are those of us with bad spelling and dodgy grammar that actually 30 years or more in the industry actually designing and producing stuff.
Old 25-06-2022, 00:11   #90
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
I keep my 52 ft Trawler in Mexico on the hard in the summer. It has 14 agm batteries. I have them connected to one 100 watt solar panel with a mppt controller set to agm. I run one small flourescent bulb in the galley to keep a trickle of electricity running through the system.

Why would you leave” a trickle “ makes no sense what are you trying to achieve or prevent

Tags
batteries, loa, solar