Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2008, 00:47   #1

silencing generators

Hi

My name is Hannes and I'm new to the forum. I am not sailing but thought someone in the sailing community would have experience regarding my query.

I want to silence an EM6000 Honda generator to vent fumes away and muffle the noise! If anyone can advise I will greatly appreciate it. The generator is installed in an outside garage.

Thanks
malan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:31   #2

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Put it in your neighbors garage
Old 24-01-2008, 07:58   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by malan_h View Post
Hi

My name is Hannes and I'm new to the forum. I am not sailing but thought someone in the sailing community would have experience regarding my query.

I want to silence an EM6000 Honda generator to vent fumes away and muffle the noise! If anyone can advise I will greatly appreciate it. The generator is installed in an outside garage.

Thanks
Building a sound enclosure is not that hard. The real problem is getting rid of the heat. I assume that this is a gasoline engine in which case you also have the problem of a volatile fuel. Sorry I can't be of more help. Be careful.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 09:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Put it in your neighbors garage
I tried that and it created a whole new issue... How to silence the Neighbor??

I have built an enclosure to house my generator that is lined with sound deadening material. As to the heat & fumes I have a "snorkle" for lack of a better term at each end. Both are lined with sound deadening material and one of the is preassurized with a squirel cage fan. The fan moves enough air to take care of heat & fumes.

I think the "snorkles" are a key component. While testing I ran the genset with one of them removed and I would guess that the noise level nearly doubled when standing about 6' from the genset.

I don't recal where we found the design info. I do recall that there were specific calculations for the area of the vent holes and the dimensions of the "hood" . I wish I could draw you a picture to better illustrate...
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:00   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Take a look at this:
Soundproofing a Generator
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 11:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I am sure they are a good company, but the first few lines I read had a very misleading statment.
Quote:
It is based on the fact that air will go around corners well, whereas sound doesn't like to.
That ain't correct at all. Maybe it is a simple way of trying to describe a very complex situation. But then they use this argument to down play other materials as poor sound isolaters in their "Myths" section. They are certainly correct that those other materials are poor sound isolators by the way. But.......arr what the heck. I am probably just tooo nerdy when it comes to Acoustics :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 22:15   #7

I have a EU2000 generator. To silence it, I put it in a marine cooler with 1 inch venting holes all around. The exhaust has a 3 inch hole. I was careful to monitor the heat at first and found that if I had sufficient holes in the cooler, then heat was disappated sufficiently. Also it help to put the cooler/gen. on a throwaway cushion in order to alleviate vibration. We put it on the back off the swim platform and it worked great.
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 23:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A freind of mine built a dyno for model race boat engines and installed it in his garage.

1/ Build a floor mount with rubber isolators to avoid vibration transmission.
2/ Insulate the floor
3/ Bulid a box - better if one outside wall of the garage is used.
4/ Insulate the box
5/ Provide a snorkel intake that runs through the garage wall, has a fan and is insulated as well. It is best if the mouth of the snorkel is above head high
6/ Provide an exhaust snorkel that runs through the garage wall, is insulated and runs up the outside of the garage to roof height. Note this would be pipe in pipe. There would be a snorkel duct to exhaust the cooling air and the engine exhaust pipe also runs in this duct. There may be some argument and complexity in running the exhaust this far but it will result in the quietest install.

FWIW - These race boat engines put out about 8+ hp and scream at 28,000+ rpm. They are noisy little beasts. He imbeded a plexi viewing screen in his box but it was nice and quiet both inside and outside the garage.

These little beauties will do over 95mph on the water.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 11:09   #9

Thumbs up Silencing genset

Hi folks

Thanks for the huge response !

I will have to take a closer look at the solution- I like the car silencer and snorkel solutions.

Happy sailing

HAnnes
malan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 11:27   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
I have a EU2000 generator. To silence it, I put it in a marine cooler with 1 inch venting holes all around. The exhaust has a 3 inch hole. I was careful to monitor the heat at first and found that if I had sufficient holes in the cooler, then heat was disappated sufficiently. Also it help to put the cooler/gen. on a throwaway cushion in order to alleviate vibration. We put it on the back off the swim platform and it worked great.

Greg, How many one inch holes did you drill? I might try this for our 1000.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 13:54   #11

Boat: C&C 27
Chuck, how long have you been using the 1000. I really love mine.
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 18:03   #12

Been using it for a couple of years now and we like it too:>

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-01-2008, 18:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Greg, How many one inch holes did you drill? I might try this for our 1000.

I recall about a dozen per long side. Short side was vented due to exhaust on one end and holes for cords on the other. Also, I cracked the top open when running, for more ventilation.

-Greg
Old 25-01-2008, 18:48   #14

Thanks Greg but with all of those openings did it really cut down much noise?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 26-01-2008, 10:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Thanks Greg but with all of those openings did it really cut down much noise?
Substantially.

Here is a link to a gallery which shows the early stage of development. I didn't purchase a muffin fan because the dozen or so holes did the trick.

Kodakgallery.com*Album Not Found&

I don't own this boat anymore and so the whole thing is sitting in my storage shed. The two subsequent boats have inverters. Nonetheless, should I need this for marine or RV usage (while boondocking), I'm confident it will work fine.

-Greg