Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 13:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau Sense 51
Simarine Pico Plus

I have just received my Pico Plus and have begun the installation. I have it wired to my house bank and I am preparing for more extensive integration. Has anyone found any exterior mounted tank monitors that work on plastic tanks that are voltage out put (2 wire 0-5VDC) or resistance based (2 wire 0-65Kohm)?
In The Mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 23:39   #2

Re: Simarine Pico Plus

I haven't installed my pico+ yet but the place I bought from sells tank sensors.

https://www.safiery.com/ultrasonic-t...no-penetration
Urbanerosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 15:58   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Would be very interested in how accurate you find the Battery Monitor.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 22:39   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It's not, at all compared to Victron BMV.

They've been working on updating firmware based on feedback from Bruce's testing.

But for SoC nothing beats SmartGauge.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 17:54   #5

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I have a PICO display on my boat and tank monitors. The tank monitors work with Maretron ultrasonic sending units installed in my water and holding tanks. These are voltage based (I believe) whereas the original sending units are resistance based.

My PICO monitors the following:
5 solar panels totaling 800 watts with 50amps going into the battery on a sunny day.

2 holding tanks with ultrasonic maretron sensors

1 water tank">fresh water tank with ultrasonic maretron sensor

2 diesel fuel tanks

1 house bank of 4 (680AH) AGM batteries

1 starting battery (4D) AGM

2 4D AGM 24 volt stern thruster batteries (voltage only)

2 4D AGM 24 volt bow thruster batteries (voltage only)

Mastervolt inverter / charger

Alternator output to House Bank

Refrigerator temperature

Freezer temperature

House Bank temperature

I've found both the tank and battery monitoring quite accurate. The standard stuff that comes with my boat was pretty weak. If any one is interested in the layout, let me know.
S/V Black Diamond - Hanse 575 #161
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 15:29   #6

Boat: Compadre - Cascade 42' Sloop

Hi Rick & Bonnie,
I'm in the process of putting in a new 600Ah 12V gel bank and an experimental 48V lithium bank, and have been looking quite seriously at the Pico gear. One big attraction for me is the system integration aspect. I'd love to take you up on your offer of examining your layout. Feel free to PM me or post here.
I have heard Bruce at Ocean is helping them improve the accuracy as well. Have you had the chance to do any firmware updates? If so, did you notice any improvements in accuracy or other features?

Thanks,
Old 25-04-2019, 17:39   #7

Yes, I've done firmware updates. They are quite easy, done with the cell phone. I'll give you the good and bad of SIMARINE.

Good
------
1 The systems integration is easy, it works with many of your existing tank monitors and gauges, and has lots of extensibility.

2. Its pretty accurate, and quite helpful on a boat which had poor monitoring from the factory.

3. Its got a really easy to read display, reasonably intuitive interface, and the technology is pretty state of the art. Especially when compared to systems like Phillippi which are more mature but look like 20 year old displays on character cell terminals.

4. There is an iPhone App that you can use to repeat anything on the PICO display, via the WIFI capability it has. You use the same app to update firmware, change settings, etc. You can also do this on the PICO itself.

Bad
----
1. The company is young and in slovenia. They are quick to sell, but their post sales service (should you need it) can be frustrating. I've had to chase them on a few things.

2. I bought a spare PICO display because its a single point of failure in a monitoring system. I'd like to have 2 live at the same time, but that isnt allowed yet. Supposedly they are working on it. If the display fails, or if you cannot update the firmware for some reason, its good to have a second unit to just drop in and plug into the bus.

3. While you can save your settings to your cell phone, I found out the hard way that you cannot save settings on one pico display and upload them on another. It complains about the serial number. Sooooooooo.... I had to take pictures of every setting screen and every calibration along with the serial numbers of all the shunts and devices. This I then use if I have to swap the display. Even better would be to have the display pre-built and ready as a spare with all the settings ready. Its on my list.

If you are interested in the diagram for my system, I'll send it to you. The only think I did outside of the SIMARINE stuff was using ultrasonic sensors on the holding tanks. Far more accurate and less prone to problems. Other than that, the SIMARINE stuff goes in pretty easily.
Portsmouth, RI
Old 06-05-2019, 18:57   #8

I'm currently in the process of setting mine up and have a few questions. I am a complete novice when it comes to electrical circuitry, so forgive my ignorance:

1) On the SCQ25T Quad Shunt, it lists the maximum Current as 25amps per shunt, but my MPPT Charge Controller is rated at 30Amps. Black Diamond, you mention that your solar array pulls up to 50amps of current, so I'm curious if I'm misunderstanding something here or if you had to take any special precautions.

2) Again, with the SCQ25T, in the manual, it mentions to put it on the negative side of the battery terminal. In the wiring diagram, it's clearly on the positive side. Also, it's in series with the devices. My -- very basic -- understanding of a voltmeter is that it should be wired in parallel, on the positive side. I'm assuming the wiring diagram provided online is accurate, but I just want to be sure.

3) There are a couple of 1amp fuses the wiring diagram recommends by the battery shunt and the sicom splitter, but I was wondering if you'd recommend any additional fuses not listed.

I would be very curious to see your diagrams or setup or whatever you can offer. Thank you so much!
fuegoencairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:52   #9

I divided the solar into four different controllers and measure it thru 2 different inputs on the SQC25T. I have a "Forward Solar" which has my 3 panels forward and a "Solar Aft" which has the 2 165Watt aft panels. Its not likely the forward or aft inputs will go above 25AMPS. Its been fine so far..

I'm not on my boat right now, but the diagrams are from last august and I haven't checked that specific. I assume the manual is right, but will check.
The wiring diagram needs to be verified, so don't take it as gospel. Just a rough sketch of what I put in. I really need to make sure its completely accurate. I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, here are some pics to help... The only difference is that I have now put my diesel tanks (resistance based sensors) on the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIMArine mounts.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	191588   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST107 Inputs.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	191589  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SQC25T Inputs.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	191590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Kicking In.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	191591  

Portsmouth, RI
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fuegoencairo.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 13:57   #11

Ahoy! Thanks for the welcome.

And big thanks Black Diamond, for posting these pictures. Even just seeing yours set up gives me a little more confidence going forward. I'm feeling pretty good about my wiring diagram, but if it'll work still remains to be seen. Electricity is wild. Sometimes it feels like the more I learn, the less I understand.
fuegoencairo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine