Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 17:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 motor: repair possible?

I've just discovered that the motor on my Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 windlass is dead.

I dismantled the windlass and removed the motor, and on a 12V supply it draws no amps. I attempted to check the brushes (quad at 90 deg each) but the construction of them is a little odd and it's not obvious how to extract the spring without cutting the brades.

I checked the manual, and the part number for the motor is 60533112. Clearly there's a lewmar part number that's similar.

However, the only place I've found that seems to sell them is:
Parts for Horizon 1500/Express | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares

Horizon 1000/1500 12 V
Part Number: 60533212
Price: £225.00

However, $300 before shipping is a little rich for me.

I was wondering if anybody knew of a place in the US who sells these motors (I couldn't find one that was cheaper), or anywhere on the gulf-coast that repairs motors. An alternative would be if anyone knew of a similar motor that would fit a Horizon 1500 without modification.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2018, 17:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 motor: repair possible?

I would try taking the motor to a plain old auto starter/alternator repair shop. They are generally experienced with all sorts of motors, windings and brushes and might be able to repair your windlass motor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 17:49   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Pearland Alternator comes to mind.

They’re on 35 south of the belt.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would try taking the motor to a plain old auto starter/alternator repair shop. They are generally experienced with all sorts of motors, windings and brushes and might be able to repair your windlass motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Pearland Alternator comes to mind. They’re on 35 south of the belt.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of starter/alternator rebuilt places. There's one not far away - i'll take it in on Monday and see what they can do.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:24   #5

Boat: Gemini 3000

As a mechanic I offer this advice, no charge, that's what its worth. . If there is zero draw when fed 12volts directly the odds are the brushes are not making contact, I have worked on Simpson Lawrence anchor windlasses and one I worked on does use a reversing contactor setup, not sure of that model but it reverses DC current direction through the contractors for the anchor up/down. The contactors plungers must freely spring in and out. This one had stuck contactor. If all is good there in the grey plastic contactor box, the motor is just an isolated DC motor, brushes are hung up, use wd40, tap tap tap, if you can reach inside motor and spring the brushes (soft carbon) in and out of holders so the make contact with commutator may free up. Good luck.
Kayoko Monk 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 03:13   #6

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

You can buy a new motor from a guy in Scotland who bought up all the spares when the company was wound up. SLS spares.co.uk.
We had our motor fail whilst in jamaica in 2015. It took less than a week for it to arrive, I can't remember the cost as it was wrapped up with customs charges levied in Jamaica.but was way cheaper than a new windlass. Very helpful guy in Scotland Tel: +44 (0) 141 887 412, A year earlier he supplied us with a new left-handed bolt that secures the clutch to the gypsy that we were told was not available anywhere in the world by Lewmar rep.
Oh and he also supplied us with a spare set of brushes for that new motor.
Hope this helps.
Old 19-01-2018, 05:48   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

First do some basic measure with an multi-meter.
Check if there is contact between the power inlet and the brushes, usually this is the problem. And probably you can fix this with soldering but you need to take it all apart and clean it.

Or, as mentioned before deliver it to an starter/alternator repair shop.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 11:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
First do some basic measure with an multi-meter.
Check if there is contact between the power inlet and the brushes, usually this is the problem. And probably you can fix this with soldering but you need to take it all apart and clean it.

Or, as mentioned before deliver it to an starter/alternator repair shop.
Thanks for the suggestion. It was one of the first things I did - along with checking for the minor change in resistance as the brushes pass the stator-rotators. However, the resistance readings were all over the place!
Old 19-01-2018, 11:35   #9

Good News!

I took the unit to a starter/alternator repair shop (up on North Shepherd, north of 610). They opened it up, and it was fully of water!

I got them to recondition the core, clean and resolder the terminations along with grinding and rebedding the brushes. Now it works again!

Even though it's marked as IP65, they suggested that I bury all the seams in sealant, as clearly it can leak. They also noted that the brushes were 'special' and didn't appear to match standard (catalogue) brush sets. So no spares for me unless I buy them from the SLS spares place in Scotland!

Thanks all for your help! I must say, I was not expecting it to be filled with water - I can't even think how/when that would have happened - but now I need to look at proper sealing of the windlass enclosure covers too! The whole windlass is also under an anchor locker door, so not in direct rain either...
Old 23-04-2020, 13:27   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I have the same 2000 Beneteau 461. Windlass is Simpson Lawrence Horizon Express with a 1000W motor. I had intermittent problems caused by poor, exposed leads to the handheld remote in the anchor locker. When green water shoots over the bow in a squall it tends to get everywhere.
After fixing the leads connections it still would not run.
I traced the electrical problem to the leads going into the motor housing where the brushes are. The black lead soldering came loose. But by now I had a problem reassembling the brushes with the motor shaft (?).
I found a local marine store who has a new motor for $450,00. I think I will try an alternator repair shop, Pasco in Annapolis, MD. I had a good experience with them before when I upgraded my alternator.
Is your windlass working now ? No more problems?
BTW.. I replaced the solenoid and now have 1 brand new one and 2 working used ones. If anyone needs some... call me 4844373262

Cheers
Peter Breit
"Belvedere"
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, motor, simpson lawrence