Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2021, 22:28   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Sizing a solar charge controller

Planning an upgrade of solar panels of the newly purchased boat. Currently have a 30A PWM controller, I would like to replace it with a Victron MPPT. Trying to decide on sizing.

In the immediate term, I am planning to put 400W of solar panels, with plans to upgrade to 800W in September when we redo our bimini and dodger. Things may stay there but there is a low possibility to add another 100W-200W with flexible panels, bringing the total to 900W or 1,000W. Though staying at 800W is the likely outcome.

So assuming 800W, how does the sizing work? I have a 12V system so for 800W, it is 800W/12v ~= 67A. Do I really need a 70A MPPT (which are very expensive)? In reality, I rarely get 50% of the theoretical capacity so wondering if putting a 50A MPPT would make sense. I also don't want to risk damaging the controller if it happens to be a perfectly bright and shiny day (or we sail down to Mexico one day).

What do people normally do?
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 17:57   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Re: Sizing a solar charge controller

With a new MPPT charge controller you will likely get up to 20-25% more power than a PWM charge controller would give you. This is because an MPPT will lower the voltage from your panels to charge the 12V battery battery bank, take the difference and turn it into 'extra' amps whereas a PWM just lowers the voltage and that's it.

Be sure to check the specs on your solar panels and make sure when multiplied it doesn't exceed the input specs for the charge controller.

Maybe think about splitting up the solar panels and having two smaller MPPT charge controllers rather than one large one. It's often less expensive, gives you a degree of redundancy and will get slightly better performance from the panels.
Old 24-03-2021, 18:09   #3

Boat: C&C 30

Nice. That’s a lot of panels.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 20:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
Nice. That’s a lot of panels.

Oversized solar arrays (ie wattage) shouldn’t be a problem for MPPT charge controllers so long as you don’t exceed the open-circuit voltage spec of the controller (typically 100v or 150v dc). If your think about it, most MPPT controllers experience “over sizing” in their absorption and float charge phases: they simply ignore the excess power by raising the input voltage (up to the maximum V-oc when zero watts is required).

There are actually some economic and energy-yield benefits to mildly over sizing: greater energy yield at a lower cost. Above a certain point returns diminish: Grossly oversized arrays are a waste - economically & energy wise.
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 20:26   #5
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer7 View Post
Oversized solar arrays (ie wattage) shouldn’t be a problem for MPPT charge controllers so long as you don’t exceed the open-circuit voltage spec of the controller (typically 100v or 150v dc). If your think about it, most MPPT controllers experience “over sizing” in their absorption and float charge phases: they simply ignore the excess power by raising the input voltage (up to the maximum V-oc when zero watts is required).

There are actually some economic and energy-yield benefits to mildly over sizing: greater energy yield at a lower cost. Above a certain point returns diminish: Grossly oversized arrays are a waste - economically & energy wise.
Super helpful, thank you.

One thing I am trying to understand is in which condition I could exceed the open-circuit voltage spec of the controller (say 100V). I made my decision to connect all solar panels in parallel. Panels I am planning to use have open circuit voltage of 24.1V. So in parallel, that really is 24.1V. Is this only a consideration when you connect a bunch of them in series?
Old 24-03-2021, 21:41   #6

don't try to buy one controller for all panels. the best is one per panel. so a bunch of 15a ones is better then a 70a. and is the same price. or put them all in pairs with 20 or 30a controllers.

this means as you add panels you just buy another controller. instead of trying to guess at beginning.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 21:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Super helpful, thank you.

One thing I am trying to understand is in which condition I could exceed the open-circuit voltage spec of the controller (say 100V). I made my decision to connect all solar panels in parallel. Panels I am planning to use have open circuit voltage of 24.1V. So in parallel, that really is 24.1V. Is this only a consideration when you connect a bunch of them in series?
yes if you connected 4 in series you'd be at 100v
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 21:37   #8
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Successfully upgraded solar panels today and installed a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller. Already produced much better results in the 3 hours after installation compared to the previous setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	235342  
Old 28-03-2021, 03:22   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Keep a watch on the temperature of the controller. A 50A controller is going to be working very hard with a 800w input, and the installation does not not have much space above the heatsink of the controller (Victron specify a minimum of 10cm). If the internal temperature of the controller reaches 60°C, with the latest software the unit will self regulate so may also experience a reduction in the 50A capacity.

It would be worth adding some ventilation holes in the top of cabinet above the controller, if you have not already done so. If there is a lid or cover to the box shown, perhaps it is practical to permanently remove this. If not, add lots of ventilation in the lid. These steps will also help the inverter.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 09:20   #10
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Keep a watch on the temperature of the controller. A 50A controller is going to be working very hard with a 800w input, and the installation does not not have much space above the heatsink of the controller (Victron specify a minimum of 10cm). If the internal temperature of the controller reaches 60°C, with the latest software the unit will self regulate so may also experience a reduction in the 50A capacity.

It would be worth adding some ventilation holes in the top of cabinet above the controller, if you have not already done so. If there is a lid or cover to the box shown, perhaps it is practical to permanently remove this. If not, add lots of ventilation in the lid. These steps will also help the inverter.
Thanks noelex, good advice!

Tags
solar