Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 01:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
sizing inverter in sailboat/catamaran

Can me somebody explain logic installing in Small yacht, house 15 kw inverter and 12-20 kw generator. like this guy do

this Victron inverter no-load daily burn 2,64 kwh

need in summer 400-500W solar panel to cover stand-buy this inverter. average Germany condo spend 5kwh daily
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:49   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: sizing inverter in sailboat/catamaran

I can't think of a good reason why I'd need a 15kw inverter. But generally, as long as you can supply enough power to run the thing, you'd size it based on what you want to power from it.

Does the guy also have a huge charger? If so, he may have been planning for operation in countries with different voltage and frequency. That way, if everything on the boat is meant to run 240v / 50hz, but you go somewhere with 120v / 60hz power, you run the charger on shore power and everything else from the inverter. Not the most efficient solution, but it works.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:38   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

I believe he goes over why they went with the inverter/charger in their videos. They want to run everything at one time without having to shut something off to use something else. I know they, like us, removed propane from the boat for cooking. Unlike us he has a much larger induction cooktop and has an oven. In a later video he did mention that he wished they had gone with several 5k versions of the Quattro in parallel instead of a single 15k. We went with a single 5k Quattro which is paired with our 25kW batteries a just under 2500 watts of solar, but we have no genset on our Lagoon 380. Maybe it is the American in me, but I don’t ever want to compromise on power. I have all my gadgets and toys on board plus all the normal stuff and we rarely use shore power. Shoot this past week in St. Augustine we were in a marina, but not plugged in for a week and rarely went below 80% and were usually back at 100% by 1pm.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

i have in my sailboat
dual output
1 inverter 3000W Ipever plus connected with the boat automatic transfer switch when shore power come.
1 inverter Victron Phoenix 500W this inverter working usually 0-24 hour day. electronic ,laptop charging,phone charging

Victron charger 30A
solar 300W mppt 40A ipever

house battery Winston 200ah VCR connecting with start battery line or manually

Starting battery connected with windlass and bow thruster
75ah lead acid and close to bow truster 200ah EVA lithium (i buy this becose is compact size and cheap,cheaper vs agm

i know this system is not ideal but this is by year changing .in Summer i use induction cooking in winter gas.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 15:20   #5

Such an installation would support a modest 3 bed house, it would be totally inappropriate in yacht or cat of less than 50ft. If you have to be able to turn everything on otherwise you might have a panic attack, just stay home. Please.
MoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 16:52   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyS View Post
Such an installation would support a modest 3 bed house, it would be totally inappropriate in yacht or cat of less than 50ft. If you have to be able to turn everything on otherwise you might have a panic attack, just stay home. Please.
My setup is on a 38ft Cat so it shows what you know. Completely appropriate.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, catamaran, inverter, sail, sailboat