Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2022, 08:04   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
Sizing My Solar / Battery / Invertor System.

Greetings, I am refurbishing a new to me catamaran. Its a 5 cabin 53 ft. catamaran. I am based in South Africa. I have not yet calculated a detailed power requirement spreadsheet for the vessel. I have no intention of converting the current 12 V DC system to A 48 V DC system as that will entail a complete, very expensive rewire and the current wiring is in excellent condition. I understand that the new Victron equipment has built in soft start capabilities to enable 220V equipment to be run if supported with the correct hardware. I am hoping that I will never ever need my generator again and this is what I'm trying / hoping to achieve, if at all possible. I will install 8 x 550 Watt solar panels with one MPPT controller per two panels so will install 4 MPPT controllers. I will install 7 x 300 Amp hour Sunray Lithium Lifepo4 batteries & two 12 V / 3000 W Multiplus Victron invertor charge controllers. I appreciate that one should undertake a detailed power requirements spreadsheet. However, purely as a subjective opinion, please advise on the following:
1. In addition to powering my vessel, is it likely that I will I be able to run 2 x 12 000 BTU air conditioners for two hours a hour a day and
2. Is it likely that the system also be able to power a water maker that produces 220 liters per hour for two hours per day?
3. Does the 2 x 3000 invertors make sense in terms of size?

Any criticism and advice will be most welcomed. Thank you immensely in advance.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar