Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 11:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Sliding battery tray?

Anyone used or built a sliding battery tray? My house bank consists of 4 group 31 batteries, installed in a very awkward compartment that makes it virtually impossible to access for routine maintenance. I was thinking of putting in a sliding tray, but not sure if it will be strong enough (the group 31's are about 60lbs each). Anyone done this? Beyond the obvious necessity to secure the tray from extending inadvertently, and securing the batteries to the tray, what are other things to consider?

Thanks,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Sliding battery tray?

We've made many
Roller bearing long casters and positive pin locking
Steel is fine, just use a lot of rustoleum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

My only suggestion would be to make sure the locking mechanism you choose is simple but bulletproof. you don't want a sliding tray coming unlatched in a seaway and having 240+ lbs rocketing out on the slider!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:00   #4

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I one worked on a yacht that had a 30KW genset (about 1500 lbs) that was mounted on a sliding tray. Anything is possible with proper engineering.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14   #5

Anything is possible, longer cables, tangles resistance to sliding are likely issues though.
I often think of these wild ideas I have in this way: How much time and effort will doing this "improvement" cost and Is using the current method less actual time overall?
Let's say you spend 8 hours building and modifying the system.
Let's say it takes you 10 mins or .17 hours to check the batteries the current way. Is it worth it with the added risk of complications?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
We've made many
Roller bearing long casters and positive pin locking
Steel is fine, just use a lot of rustoleum
Did you mount the roller bearing slides to the underside of the battery tray, or to the sides? I'm thinking of a custom tray made of starboard, with 4 slides underneath so that the entire assembly slides out with lots of support to hold the weight of the batteries. The cables should be long enough to allow for the slide to extend. And definitely a good, strong positive lock!

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 01-02-2017, 16:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Anything is possible, longer cables, tangles resistance to sliding are likely issues though.
I often think of these wild ideas I have in this way: How much time and effort will doing this "improvement" cost and Is using the current method less actual time overall?
Let's say you spend 8 hours building and modifying the system.
Let's say it takes you 10 mins or .17 hours to check the batteries the current way. Is it worth it with the added risk of complications?

My biggest issue is that it's virtually impossible to check water levels in the batteries as there is only about 4" space between the top of the batteries and a solid wood shelf. I tried to find a battery watering system, one of those manifold jobs that fill all the cells to just the right level, but none fit my batteries. So I either fill the cells blind, or find an alternate method. The sliding tray is one idea. I'm open to other suggestions...

Of course, next time I need to buy batteries, I'm going AGM :-)

Regards,
David
Old 02-02-2017, 04:27   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
My biggest issue is that it's virtually impossible to check water levels in the batteries as there is only about 4" space between the top of the batteries and a solid wood shelf.

Of course, next time I need to buy batteries, I'm going AGM :-)

That's the main reason we changed to AGM. Problem solved.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2017, 12:44   #9

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Did you mount the roller bearing slides to the underside of the battery tray, or to the sides? I'm thinking of a custom tray made of starboard, with 4 slides underneath so that the entire assembly slides out with lots of support to hold the weight of the batteries. The cables should be long enough to allow for the slide to extend. And definitely a good, strong positive lock!

Regards,
David
That's not so important, thou top might be the best for slides. Due boat geometry usually there's more room for longer slides on top. If room isn't an issue might have four, one in each corner.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery