Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2022, 19:17   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Small Busbar connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think all pvc wire insulation is good up to 105C. It’s the property of the PVC, rather than the label that makes it so.
There is 60 C labeled wire as well as other ratings. 105 C is considered the marine standard. There is also 200 C silicone covered wire.

But if it isn't labeled who knows what it is. Probably not 105 C or they would say so.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:29   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There is 60 C labeled wire as well as other ratings. 105 C is considered the marine standard. There is also 200 C silicone covered wire.

But if it isn't labeled who knows what it is. Probably not 105 C or they would say so.
I’ve never seen 60C rated wire… but I’ll look out for it

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:34   #63
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

I did a quick search and think I found the answer. The temperature rating printed on the wire is for the rated ampacity. When wire isn’t pure copper, it has more resistance so it’s ampacity goes down, requiring a de-rating.

I don’t think lesser materials than pvc are used for insulation but maybe a recycled pvc has a lower rating. Much to learn but it’s not at the top of my list

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:34   #64

Boat: Logan 33

Choosing wire size, based on ampacity, features in the free introductory section of Nigel Calder’s ‘Boat How To’ web site, alongside circuit length for voltage drop.
Our retailers have tech sheets that give ampacity for their wire, but you would have to work backwards from that to determine the temp. rating of the insulation.
I’ll check these sheets soon, maybe the PVC on their wire is highly rated, I’d be surprised though.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 20:46   #65

Boat: Logan 33

at local marine retailer, battery cable, e.g. 25mm is labeled 110C, but the smaller, 2,5,6 mm is not labelled for temp rating.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote