Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 11:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Smart or stupid solar question

Hello
I am looking for some advise my current setup includes
1 smart solar 75/15 mppt charger
2 100 watt solar panels
1 AEROGEN 4 DC wind generator
1 original AEROGEN charger can give up to 17 volt .

The wind generator is used at this moment as a water generator .
My question is if I connect the output of the AEROGEN charger to the mppt input along with the solars will I be able to raise the voltage of the solar from 36volt to 48or more and have the mppt charger to get advantage of it ?
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:51   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Smart or stupid solar question

I just did a quick check on the calcs for your solar and it appears that the solar controller may be a tad small for you solar panels. Given the output the 15 amp MPPT controller would be at its upper level of performance.

I am confused by your comment that your wind generator is also used as a water generator, can you please expand on this and the output of the unit. What do you have on the wind generator at the moment. Regardless it appears that you would require a seperate controller for your wind unit. Also when you say a orginal Arerogen charger what are we talking about when you say it can give up to 17 volts.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 16:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

No the 75/15 is fine for 220+ watts.

Even up to 300W, **if** you got a super deal on a bigger panel, such "overpanelling" does no harm, boosts average daily output a **lot**, would only waste a bit of panel output in peak conditions.

Going to the next bigger Victron size is costly.

To get the best shade handling, matching the panel to the SC combined with Victron's pricing scheme, consider multiple smaller SCs even 1 per panel, rather than all panels hooked up to one big SC.

The key with maximizing the MPPT advantage is getting away from the usual low "12V" panels, certainly want 20+ Voc rating.

But the 75/15 is fine with up to say 65Voc, so better if possible to get up to the nominal "24V" (actually 38+Voc) type, or even higher.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 16:21   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post

The wind generator is used at this moment as a water generator
Yes what means this?

Better IMO just stick to solar, simple and nicely silent, no moving parts.
Old 28-09-2018, 16:57   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I prefer a separate charger on each charging device.

75/15 is perfectly fine on 2x100 panels as you have the mppt charger.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 00:39   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post

I am confused by your comment that your wind generator is also used as a water generator, can you please expand on this and the output of the unit.
Sounds like a DuoGen:

https://www.energyonthehook.com/Ecle...3-p/ecl014.htm
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 01:15   #7

Boat: Beneteau first 26

The generator is not a duo gen , but it's been converted using an old.outboard body to rotate with the water , like a hydro generator .

The generator has her own charge that converts high voltage dc from the generator to DC 12-17 volt (you can configure the output).

I do believe that if I connect this output to the mppt solar controller will get a boost when the wind is low , something like the silent wind generator .

I will agree that just solar is better and simpler but I like the idea of a seccond source
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 05:06   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
....I do believe that if I connect this output to the mppt solar controller will get a boost when the wind is low , something like the silent wind generator.
Never connect a wind genny to a standard MPPT controller. There are some MPPT controllers designed to take a wind genny input as well as a solar. A separate wind regulator and a solar regulator can easily confuse each other.

My advice, and that from DuoGen, is if you are permanently on the boat then there is no need to connect a wind regulator. I set a high voltage alarm in case the batteries do ever get to 100% which would allow the voltage to rise and rise and overcharge the batteries. When we leave the boat I disable the DuoGen.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 12:03   #9

Boat: Outbound 46

I agree that there is no need for a regulator on the wind/water generator as long as you are on the boat. Unless you have a very large solar array, or are extremely miserly in electricity use, you will rarely get close to a 100% charge while on the cruising. We have operated with our D400 wind generator for many years without a regulator and without a problem. Simply connect the wind generator to the batteries (with suitable fusing).

I think maybe once we were concerned about the possibility of overcharging. What a perfect time to run the water maker!
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 12:09   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Hello

2 100 watt solar panels

My question is if I connect the output of the AEROGEN charger to the mppt input along with the solars will I be able to raise the voltage of the solar from 36volt to 48or more and have the mppt charger to get advantage of it ?

Wire the panels in series to get the most out of them. Wouldn’t be the right advice for PWM controller.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 13:21   #11

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
The generator is not a duo gen , but it's been converted using an old.outboard body to rotate with the water , like a hydro generator .

I will agree that just solar is better and simpler but I like the idea of a seccond source
I have an old electric outboard - been wondering about using that as a hydro generator. Anyone tried it?

TwT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 13:26   #12
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Hello
2 100 watt solar panels

Please don't do that! First, there is no point to it. A generator doesn't have a maximum power point, like solar panels. The generator output voltage is proportional to rotational speed. Second, the Victron MPPT controller isn't designed or intended to be used with a generator. Third, combining the solar and generator outputs will completely confuse the voltage versus current calculations of the MPPT. The algorithm used by the MPPT assumes only solar panels appear at its input.

If you don't believe my warnings, ask Victron. I'm sure they will give you the same answer.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 15:09   #13
cruiser

Science projects

Tags
solar