Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2023, 19:17   #1

So What do I do with my big alternator?

Hey folks

I’ m struggling with my install plan with my Balmar xt 250 and a wakespeed ws500.

I have a 1200ah lifepo4 house bank(my boat came with all propane and tubing completely removed. Stubbornly I hung my hat on an electric Galley.. It’s great but power hungry.

The bank allows us to live normally for about 5 days or 10 if we stretch it but inevitably we have to turn the engine on to recoup serious power, but my current alternator setup only nets me 40 amps of charging. At 20% soc that’s 25 hours to get full again.

What is my best option prioritizing my house bank?

The best I’ve come up with is I connect the Alternator (via the WakeSpeed Controller) directly to the house bank and then a DC to DC charger back to my starter battery?

Is that a solid plan or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 00:32   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: So What do I do with my big alternator?

If you can fit both alternators then small one direct to Start Battery and big one to House Battery.

If you can only fit one, then big one to House and DC-DC to Start as you have suggested.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 00:41   #3

Yes but it’s a bit of a gamble. If that is your only means of charging. (No gen, no big solar). Then carry a spare alt.

But there is certainly no point having a 250a alt feeding the eng bat with a small Dc to dc going to house. Which I’m guessing you have now. The other option is stacking Dc to dc converters From engine to house. For more current.

Do you have an external bms or Internal?
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 01:11   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

What's wrong with just having a battery selector switch?
Old 22-02-2023, 02:28   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
I have a 1200ah lifepo4 house bank(my boat came with all propane and tubing completely removed. Stubbornly I hung my hat on an electric Galley.. It’s great but power hungry.
This is unfortunately becoming a common problem. Cruising boats are removing their propane system and then finding they don’t have enough charging input to for electric cooking, especially when cruising areas of poor solar insolation. Electric cooking is fantastic, but make sure you have enough charging capacity before removing the propane completely.

Quote:
Hey folks
The best I’ve come up with is I connect the Alternator (via the WakeSpeed Controller) directly to the house bank and then a DC to DC charger back to my starter battery?
The problem with this system is that if the BMS shuts down the batteries while the engine is running, the alternator is very likely to be damaged and there is also some risk to all other electronic components.

If you have an external BMS this can potentially send a message to Wakespeed to shut down the alternator output before the batteries are disconnected. I am sure someone on the forum can help you set this up if it is feasible with your batteries. This will protect the alternator and also prevent risk of damage to other electronics. There are other simpler solutions such a lead acid battery bank buffer or stacking multiple DC to DC chargers, but each of these has some drawbacks.

This thread is well worth reading:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nks-65069.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 04:31   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Is that a solid plan or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help
I am not expert! But I see no reason not charge directly to the LFP HOuse (I do it)

I don't understand why people limit their alternator charging to LFP house batteries by sending it through a DC to DC charger. Is not your alternator regulator programable? Change the regulator programing to a voltage safe for the batteries and a safe alternator temp so it doesn't burn up. I am using a old Balmar ARS5 regulator and just set the charge bulk to only 14, the belt manger to B$ to reduce the output and not burn out the alternator or belt, and the temp to 95 (it has not gotten close)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 06:10   #7
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@noelex_77 #5
Quote:
The problem with this system is that if the BMS shuts down the batteries while the engine is running, the alternator is very likely to be damaged and there is also some risk to all other electronic components.
The WS500 accommodates a BMS rescinding the ATC permission with a 2 second delay between loss of ATC signal, which terminates field current, and the battery bank being isolated.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 07:09   #8

Boat: Beneteau 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
@noelex_77 #5

The WS500 accommodates a BMS rescinding the ATC permission with a 2 second delay between loss of ATC signal, which terminates field current, and the battery bank being isolated.
True, but that function is really only available for systems using an external BMS. Most Lifepo4 installation are using internal BMS batteries with either bluetooth-only or no external communication capabilities. One possible solution is the Balmar APM-12 alternator protection module which seems to have been designed specifically to address the problem of BMS cutoff damaging the alternator. It was released last year but I haven't seen much discussion or reviews of the unit. I would assume however that Balmar knows what they are doing. I ended up not using it for my install because I elected to leave the 80 amp stock alternator in place and charge the house bank via DC-DC but if I decide to upgrade the alternator later I would want to try it.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 07:14   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Wouldn't the DC-DC charger still be taking current and therefore protecting the alternator?

This fear gets posted in nearly every LFP thread and I've yet to hear of it happening to anyone.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator