Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:14   #1

Solar & Wind controller for newbies

I am sorry if the subject has been treated before but i cannot find any decent information regarding a nightmare which i am facing now.
I have a wind generator (Ista Breeze i-200, single phase-2 wires with charge controller included), a solar panel (100W, 2 wires) and a hybrid charge controller.
The charge controller although being made in china has some interesting functions:
- solar panel input (+ & -)
- wind generator input ( 3 phase - 3 wires)
- battery output (+ & -)
- a nice big resistor at the back with a cooling fan in order to dump the extra load and a manual activation of kill-switch for the turbine;

I have been facing a great deal of trouble in order to find out if i can use a mono-phase wind generator on my 3 phase input for the controller. Is there any possibility to use the current equipment or do i need to separate them. It would be excellent if i could use the whole set-up.

As far as i can understand, the controller takes 3 phases from the genny, converts to DC (+-) and adjusts some other parameters. To me it makes sense to connect the genny after the switching to mono has taken place.

Do any of you have ideas or info on how to set it up? Bare in mind that it is my first struggle with green energy and so far i am upset
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wind t.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	173141   Click image for larger version

Name:	cc.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	173142  

SorinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Solar & Wind controller for newbies

You have a DC wind generator with a rectifier, you can use your 2 cables on every of the three inputs of the wind controller ( this is from.the manual of my Chinese controller )
If it is an mppt controller be verry carefull a lot of them are faulty and overcharge the batteries ,I had this issue with some of the controllers from.china .
If the controller has no dump load this is a.provlem as well that.may lead to over charge .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:43   #3

My first test was with randomly connecting my 2 cables to the 3 connectors on the wind input. I could get the controller to show voltage of max 13.6V (connected to a battery that had 11.5V) but 0 Amps. Manual activation of the shunt also worked. So basically i could not get it to register any amps going to the battery.

Solar panel went fine, 13.5V and 4.5 A on direct sunlight, charging nicely. Even when i connected the wind generator to the solar input (looks like straight forward.. 2 wires on 2 wires) it only registered voltage and no sign of current.

Can you please take a pic of the instruction on your controller, or if you have some electrical drawing...
Mine has a dump load with a big resistor on it so i believe it's fine. Regarding the charging current and the overall quality of the equipment... i can only tell after i get it working
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Do you get any voltage if you measure the wind generator cables ?
If the voltage is raising to 13.6 when you connect the generator it seems like it's charging to me , I am not in the boat now , I am back home visiting family.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 14:28   #5

I measured only by the multimonitor on the charge controller, i did not took measurements on the wires before. I also think that it charges but i am trying to figure out if it is showing 0 Amps because of the single phase input or it's realy badly connected. I think it's kind of important to know the amperage you are getting from the generator and panels... otherwise what's the point of all the fancy electronics...
Old 07-07-2018, 10:09   #6

Three-phase wind generators have AC current and voltage in each phase. Each AC phase needs to be connected to a diode bridge rectifier which would convert the AC to DC. The DC output of the rectifier would then be connected to ground and battery positive.
If your wind generator puts out two-wire DC, determine which wire is positive and which wire is negative, and then connect them directly to the battery. Don't use the 3-phase inputs on your controller.
Your wind generator probably starts with 3-phase and is internally rectified. If you could get into your wind generator you should be able to identify the rectifier bridge and the three phases. You could remove the rectifier and two DC wires. Then you would use three wires, connected to the wind generator's 3-phases, and connect those wires directly to the three phase input on your controller. This would be more efficient because 3-phase power transfers with lower loss than DC power.
Your controller may have circuitry that automatically stops the wind generator when the batteries are charged to a certain voltage. This would be useful to prevent overcharging the batteries, which is a serious concern if your batteries are gel cell or AGM.
An alternate 3-phase controller would be the Kiss Extractor™ which works with any 3-phase alternator or wind generator to elicit more energy at low wind speeds, to automatically stop the wind generator when the batteries are charged, and attempt to prevent overheat during high winds. See PropPurr(TM) and Kiss Extractor(TM)
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:21   #7

My wind generator is DC with 2 wires and an built-in controller... i have already digged in and it's 100% direct DC.
All attempts to get any current output from the turbine failed. Tried to connect the turbine to the battery output and the screen light up so it means there is for sure voltage and current.
Amp meter works for sure because it reads 4.5A on the solar panel.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47   #8

Updates!
After a lot of trial & error, i connected the + wire from wind genny (before the built in controller) to all 3 ~~~ on the hybrid charge controller and the - wire (also before the built in controller) to the battery - on the hybrid charge controller and it was registering amps and voltage on manual turning of the genny.

So it looks like it works. Does anybody see a problem with this layout, except the fact that i have less efficiency because i am still using the rectifier? I plan to wire everything after the diodes anyway...

Tags
solar, wind