Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55   #16

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Solar Charging Battery Banks

This season my Capri 22 is on a mooring in Winthrop MA. For the last two years, it was in a slip with shore power. It uses a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 electric motor rather than a gasoline outboard. So I needed to have a way to recharge the four GC2 6-volt batteries (210 amp hour, 24 volt) in addition to the house battery (Group 24, 12 volt).

We sail typically twice a week — a weekend day and Wednesday "Beer Can" race (hones our sailing skills to better enjoy cruising). We are always late on Wednesdays, so we motor sail at hull speed to the start line. The point is, the batteries are discharged noticeably but do have time to recharge using solar panels only.

DOCUMENTATION LINK:
I documented (with photos) the project in the Capri 22 forum:
(Capri22.net • View topic - Solar Panels for Capri 22).

PROJECT CONSISTS OF:
• 100 watt nominal 12 volt solar panel (Solarland traditional frame from eMarine)
• "charge booster" GVB24-8 from Genasun LLC (takes nominal 12 volts converting it to 24 volt levels — originally used to recharge golf carts)
• 12 watt Ganz "flexible" solar panel (no charge controller needed — my house battery demands are low and this panel will recharge the battery. Next larger size needs a charge controller)
• Mounted on a frame of stainless steel tubing bolted on to the existing stern pulpit (railing from Defender)

John
Capri 22 "Ophelia"
jepomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, solar